powerbook hard drive: what to buy?

Just a quicky:
My year old 12" powerbook hard drive went over the weekend.
Is there anything i need to know when buying a new one to replace it or can i just buy any standard 2.5in notebook drive?
Any advice is really appreciated.
Thanks again.
Rich

We got a TOSHIBA MK8026GAX for my 12" from Fry's .. 80 GB, 5400 rpm - works nice. If you'll got to 5400 rpm it'll last a bit less time with battery and may get a big more warm in use, but speed is a nice thing to have ... :)

Also, check out pbfixit.com/Guide/. They ave guides if you are planning on doing this yourself, and they can also suggest drives at pbfixit.com. Use the first link I posted to find the guides, and the second one to enter your model and find the drives.

I searched the forums for this problem and I am VERY glad to find such an informative post. The HD on my PB12/1.33GHz is failing. I just ordered a replacement HD from one of the links provided, and I printed a fixit guide with instructions for replacing a HD on a PB12. Wish me luck!

mdanda said:
I searched the forums for this problem and I am VERY glad to find such an informative post. The HD on my PB12/1.33GHz is failing. I just ordered a replacement HD from one of the links provided, and I printed a fixit guide with instructions for replacing a HD on a PB12. Wish me luck!
Good luck.

I installed a new 80GIG Toshiba drive in my Powerbook 12"/1.33GHz, exactly as specified in the ifixit manual.

I turned the Powerbook on and it boots using recovery disks, but nothing appears in the Select a Destination volume section of the installer. The new drive is nowhere to be found.

What am I missing? Is the new hard drive bad?

Specs:
PB12", 1.33GHz, 256+512MB RAM, combo drive

New drive:
Toshiba 80GB 5400rpm 8mb Cache 9.5mm
TOSMK8032GAX

Help!!

After you put in the new hard drive, did you format the drive before you tried to install anything on it? Most off the shelf hard drives are not formatted for a Mac.

When you install a new hard drive, you first need to boot with the install disks and then bring up Disk Utility. Partition and format the drive, and then close Disk Utility. Now, go back and try to do the install. Your new hard drive was probably not formatted for a Mac, as most new drives are not (as mine was not when I did the same upgrade a couple months ago).

Hi, I have a 15month old iBook and was wondering if the Hard Drives linked to in this thread would work for me also...
Is there anything different in the way of Hard Drives between iBooks and PowerBooks or anything I should look out for?

Thanks,
CBG

CannonBallGuy said:
Hi, I have a 15month old iBook and was wondering if the Hard Drives linked to in this thread would work for me also...
Is there anything different in the way of Hard Drives between iBooks and PowerBooks or anything I should look out for?

Thanks,
CBG
You should head over to iFixIt.com and look for a drive that suits your model. It might be the same drive as in the iBook, but you can get the models that will work, and then shop elsewhere for the drive model that you want. iFixIt's prices are a little high, frankly.

Back