powerbook HD clicking :-(

shaner

Registered
so my powerbook seems to be running find when all of the sudden it starts clicking really loud and obnoxiously.

I try to restart it, but it just keeps going to the grey screen with the damned dreaded question mark

Is there anything I can do to get this data off of the disk... my entire college career is stored on there, and this is the weekend before finals, haha that sucks :p

Thanks in advance for any help guys

Shane

Unusual mechanical sounds from a hard drive is never good news. You can try power off (with battery and power adapter removed) for 10 minutes or so. See if you can then boot to a Jaguar or Panther install CD, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the first screen, and try a repair disk. If this is an older system running OS 9, then same process from the OS 9 install CD, and go into the Utilities folder for Disk first Aid. Won't make it worse, but the clicking usually is a sign of impending death of the hard drive, if it's not too late already... :( Back up your data if you can...Good Luck... :)

I've had a couple of hard drives fall to what I call "the click of death".

Usually this means that the "needle" that reads from the hard disk platter isbroke, has fallen off track, or whatever type of failure it can do. As for your options? I have no idea. I think the only option is to go to a computer shop and see if they can some how recover the information from the hard drive.

Back