Powerbook vs iBook

basurita20

Registered
please, let me know your opinions...i'm planning to buy a mac, but i'm between a pb 15" or the new g4 iBook....
here are some of the specs of both of them....

Powerbook (1 Ghz):
15" display
512 Mb ddr333
combo drive
backlit keyboard
60 GB @ 4200 rpm HD
**All these for u$s 2167 + tax

iBook (1 Ghz):
14.1" display
640 Mb ddr266
airport extreme card
bluetooth module
60 Gb HD
combo drive
Apple wireless mouse
D-Link usb bluetooth adapter
Airport extreme base station (without antenna and modem)
**All these for u$s 2115 + tax

i'm not sure wich one choose, so , let me know your opinions, and why would you choose the ibook or the pb...
thanks!!!!

basurita20 said:
please, let me know your opinions...i'm planning to buy a mac, but i'm between a pb 15" or the new g4 iBook....
here are some of the specs of both of them....

Powerbook (1 Ghz):

iBook (1 Ghz):

i'm not sure wich one choose, so , let me know your opinions, and why would you choose the ibook or the pb...
thanks!!!!

No opinions, just facts
the cost is about the same, at least in your option setup...
The Powerbook CAN be expanded to about double the memory of the ibook (2048 MB to 1152 MB for the iBook)
PC slot available on Powerbook, none on iBook
Vid is slightly higher performance on PBook, with DVI output for external vid, for a dual monitor setup. The iBook relies on a (maybe) patch for dual monitors.
PBook has FW800, and Gigabit Ethernet capability

Perhaps other distinctions between the Pbooks and the iBooks

Other side: The PBook has known display problems, which could be fixed with more recently manufactured units.
The built-in blueTooth in the PBook could not be easily upgraded by simply changing to a different adapter.

You maxed out the RAM in the iBook (although larger modules will be available), and did not do the same with the PowerBook, so, in my opinion, the iBook would already be at a disadvantage for a purchase solution..... :)

Gook Luck!

ok, i'm agree with you in various points...
but something i didn't post, is the price fact...thats why i didn't maxed out the pb ram, for example...it costs $1500 extra! so, those "configurations" are the ones that i can afford... i'm thinking more on the pb than the ibook...because of the pb expansion...
although, some things like the airport extreme card, wich is included in the ibook's final price, i could buy it in other time...so, i think i'm stayng with pb....
but, if anyone doesn't think the same, let me know! thnksss

I am thinking the same. Who knows? Maybe maxing out the ram won't be that expensive in a year or so?
The powerbook is definitely the better choice.
Anyway, am surprised the prices are so equal.. Thought the powerbook would be much more costly

Personally, if I were to make the choice today, I'd get the 933MHz iBook (remember, those extra 67MHz are costing you over $100US) and be pleased with that.

There is a speed difference, and connectability differences, but chances are, you don't need these advantages of the PB.
Wireless networking is THE biggest advantage with laptops, and iBooks have better reception.
iBooks have better battery lifetime.
iBooks are designed to take a beating.
The 15" PB is Apple's problem child, it has a LOT of screen flaws. I know, I own one.

Zammy, remmeber that the iBook price listed includes Airport Extreme Base Station, Bluetooth Mouse and more RAM.

Why is there a Bluetooth Module AND a Bluetooth Adapter? Skip the adapter. Other than stealing a USB port and 49 bucks, it does nothing for you...

ok, i've changed my opinion....i think about keeping with the ibook.-...i didn't know that there were some problems with the display....also, i need it basically for study (i'm in 3rd year in college...)..
there's only one thing that i want to know WELL...does the ibook's g4 comes with velocity engine or not??? cause i've seen a lot of posts about that, but it's not very clear if it comes or not...does anyone knows these for sure????

and the last one!! this one is for voice...
you say in your post why spending money on a dlink...i want it to connect two macs... but if you're telling me this, i think it's beacuse that with just the bluetooth module i can connect them??? thankss...

The G4 in the iBook is basically the same processor as in all G4 machines (it's not the exact same processor, but yes, it has Altivec, or Velocity Engine).

If you want to connect two Macs wirelessly, Bluetooth is not the way to do it. Bluetooth is for peripherals like wireless mice and keyboards, PDA's, compatible phones, and in the future, scanners, printers, cameras, etc. For connecting two Macs wirelessly, use a version of Airport (regular or extreme, in other words 802.11b (slow) or 802.11g (fast)).

If you just need this for study and school-related purposes, definitely go for the iBook. It is plenty powerful, and it sports a better battery life, better durability, and a lower price, so you can put the money you save toward tuition. ;)

Ok, some ppl had very good arguments here. Almost convinced me. ;) BUT:
I would really take a closer look at both and not just focus on technical data and price. I am kinda sure you would pick the pbook. The aluminium case is a dream. The ibooks are quite sensitive for scratches, esspecially when you are taking it to school or around..
And you should keep two things in your mind: the powerbook is definitely performing better and the screen resolution of 1280x854 will give you "more space" than the 1024x768 of the ibook. It might not sound convincing now, but later you will appreciate it. I have a tibook and the ibook and since I got the tibook, my ibook got dusty

The PB is a nice investment. I have the iBook G4, since I all ready have a Powermac G4 desktop. My goal was to just get a portable for typing papers etc. In my view the new iBooks are nicer than pervious models. I feel the PB can be a desktop replacement, while the iBook is a supplement. I like my iBook, and impressed with the speed and functionality. Ask yourself, what are u going to do with your laptop? Right now, the iBook does have some advantages in portability, battery life, etc. Hope I added to your confusion LOL.

i just like to know about the display between those two notebook...

right now i'm running Jaguar on my 12.1" ibook... everything looks so crampy... will the 15.1" PBook has significantly better viewer than the 14.1" iBook or it just slightly different...?

basurita20, yes, if you want to connect 2 Macs with Bluetooth, you'll need something for the other Mac too, but as Arden said, Airport is a much faster way of doing so.

Zammy brings good points up here, the bigger screen and better resolution of the PowerBook are surely advantages, but the flaws still stand. Many people who have bought 15" AlBooks have had them repaired for longer than they have been in use...

azard, it will be significantly better. Upgrade to a 14.1" with same resolution, everything will get bigger (icons too), so it'll be like stretching your current display. With better resolution, plus better screen size, icons/text can get smaller or remain the same size while the screen gets bigger. This will look much less "crampy"

Screen resolution is definitely worth taking into the question. Remember the 14" iBook has only 1024x768. That's actually the same as the 12". If you can live with that little screen space, get the 12" PowerBook instead. It's so much more solidly built and weights 1.3 pounds less.
Else, get the 15" PowerBook. It has 1.6 times the screen space.

Zammy brings good points up here, the bigger screen and better resolution of the PowerBook are surely advantages, but the flaws still stand. Many people who have bought 15" AlBooks have had them repaired for longer than they have been in use...

does anyone here who has the AlBook got any problem with the machince as mention by voice- ?

ok ppl, thanks a lot, it helped me a lot all of your opinionss...
i think i should think a little more what would i wont...but i think that's gonna be the i-book...
it's true that the pb has a much better display quality, but, as i said, i need it basically for study...so, i'm ok with the 1024x768 resolution....

You'll be more than happy with the iBook. It sounds as if it'll fit your needs just fine and it's good value for the money. Either way, you can't go wrong.

azrad said:
does anyone here who has the AlBook got any problem with the machince as mention by voice- ?
If you need references, click this link: http://discussions.info.apple.com/
Then go to PowerBook>FW800 (which is 15" AlBook)>Displays
There's a flow of people who have had problems with several "white spots", as in some parts of the screen were much brighter than others, and some with "yellow spots", which is what I have, a problem with the Macs connection to it's video card causing hundreds of yellow spots on blue background, blue spots on white background etc.

basurita20 said:
ok ppl, thanks a lot, it helped me a lot all of your opinionss...
i think i should think a little more what would i wont...but i think that's gonna be the i-book...
it's true that the pb has a much better display quality, but, as i said, i need it basically for study...so, i'm ok with the 1024x768 resolution....

Then I'd get a 12" iBook. It's cheaper, smaller and has the same screen resolution.

Back