Powerbook wake up problems

Matsaki

Registered
I made a search but did not find any thing similar.

I have a G4 au 1GHz with OS X 10.3.8

After closing the lid or the computer have been for sleep for a long time, It freezes when trying to wake it up. After restarting I get kernel panic directly and have to start in single user mode, using apple jack to repair disk and permissions.

Still I get some problems some times with quiting applications and kernel panic.

Don't see any thing in the console.

Any one??

More problems!

Is not only after sleep I found out now. It's also after any shut down.

Also my applications some times just quit / crash, and some times the whole system freezes. I just had one freeze now in Mail.app and copied the crash log:

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/rmdb.bundle/bin/postmaster -D /var/db/RemoteManagement/RMDB/rmdb.data

or

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/rmdb.bundle/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/db/RemoteManagement/RMDB/rmdb.data -l logfile start

LOG: database system was shut down at 2005-03-16 00:35:13 EET

LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/7C2B6C

LOG: redo record is at 0/7C2B6C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

LOG: next transaction id: 480; next oid: 16886

LOG: database system is ready

LOG: smart shutdown request

LOG: shutting down

LOG: database system is shut down

LOG: database system was shut down at 2005-03-16 00:35:22 EET

LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/7EDAC0

LOG: redo record is at 0/7EDAC0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

LOG: next transaction id: 490; next oid: 16891

LOG: database system is ready

2005-03-16 00:35:35.514 Mail Status Control[486] MailMenuExtra: There was an error in evaluating the script: Mail got an error: NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError: 3 (error number 1)

2005-03-16 00:35:35.514 Mail Status Control[486] MailMenuExtra: the script countUnread failed

Please guys,, I'm going crazy here :(

What do you meen with "Smart shut down the computer"?? I made a hard test with TechTool 4 and found no problems. I have TechTool alert on now, and get some error "OS X try overlaping Error -604" some times.

Oh that sounds like a good thing to check, but how? How or where do I activate the SMART. It did not say in the doc :(

it is built into the hardware of every newer drive. it is pretty much a built in safety feature that is always on. to see your SMART status, just open 'disk utility' in the 'utilities' folder of your 'applications' folder (unless you manually moved it elsewhere). then when it opens, click on your hard drive in the left collumn and the status is listed among the info at the bottom.

This is the info I get. No SMART?

Mount Point : / Capacity : 55.9 GB (60,010,704,896 Bytes)
Format : Mac OS Extended Available : 21.2 GB (22,798,675,968 Bytes)
Permissions Enabled : Yes Used : 34.7 GB (37,207,003,136 Bytes)
Number of Folders : 64,417 Number of Files : 380,958

Mount Point : / Capacity : 55.9 GB (60,010,704,896 Bytes)
Format : Mac OS Extended Available : 21.2 GB (22,798,675,968 Bytes)
Permissions Enabled : Yes Used : 34.7 GB (37,207,003,136 Bytes)
Number of Folders : 64,417 Number of Files : 380,958

You're getting that info when you click on the name of the drive. Above that name should be the drive itself. Click on that and the S.M.A.R.T Status should be displayed where that info was.

If you don't have S.M.A.R.T. Status, then it's an older drive that doesn't support it.

Ahha! Here is that SMART info I get. Does look ok I think??

Disk Description : FUJITSU MHT2060AT Total Capacity : 55.9 GB (60,011,642,880 Bytes)
Connection Bus : ATA Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : Internal S.M.A.R.T. status : Verified
Connection ID : Device 0

Yep, that's good.

I would download and install the 10.3.8 Combo update and that should correct your problems.

I would, using the Combo update and not just the 10.3.8 update. Make sure not devices are attached when doing it.

Smart tests are anything but Smart. I have, on several occasions, received a clean bill of health via any of several software utilities - most notably Disk Warrior 3.0.2 ... just as the suspect Hard Drive DIED. This happened as recently as last week with my partner's new Al P.B. !

I have reinstalled the 10.3.8 Combo, and also I have an extra SMART applicaton watching the harddrive. But I still have the same problems. :(

Looking more and more that it's the harddrive. Now I run the repair disk from my other backup disk and got:

Repairing disk for “Mac OS X”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume file count
(It should be 381075 instead of 381079)
Repairing volume.
The volume Mac OS X was repaired successfully.

Repair attempted on 2 volumes
1 HFS volume repaired
1 volume could not be repaired

Normally there is nore errors, when I do it in Single mode with applejack.

I have a similar problem- doesn't want to wake up or boot up.
I've noticed it after I installed (and reinstalled) the Airport express card into my 15" alu g4 1g powerbook.

Removing the card usually helps. I've tried to turn off airport before putting to sleep or shutting down, and it seems to have an effect, but not 100%.

I was looking for firmware upgrade, but no help.

sometimes I get the "you must restart the computer" message after wake up.

Any ideas?

anybody?

I can try (if desperate), but it hasn't happened in the first half year when I used the machine without the airport card...

Matsaki said:
I have reinstalled the 10.3.8 Combo, and also I have an extra SMART applicaton watching the harddrive. But I still have the same problems. :(

At this point, I would try some good old basic maintenance/troubleshooting, including:

1. Empty the trash, and clear all browser caches;
2. Repair disk and repair permissions (go here) (I know that you have repaired permissions plenty of times);
3. Run the 3 periodic maintenance (cron) scripts (see above link);
4. Update the prebinding (see above link);
4. Use a program, such as Cocktail, to clear the system- and user-cache files;
5. Use a program, such as Font Finagler or DeepSix, to purge font-cache files; and
6. Verify preferences using a program such as Preferential Treatment.

If things don't improve after doing these things you may have a hardware problem, as others have indicated, or it may be time for an erase and install. As a prelude to an erase and install, you also could try reinstalling your software using the "Archive and Install" and "Preserve User and Network Settings" options.

Back