Powerbook won't wake up

HoneySmith

Registered
My Powerbook was given to me and it started to work properly when I set it up with my ISP and then one day I put it in sleep mode and it never woke up .It starts with a chiming sounds and then it goes light grey.I then see user abort on the screen telling me to type mac-boot to continue rebooting or shut down to shut down.I has a welcome to firmware and I think I pressed too many keys too many times including the FN key.I don't have the manuels to troubleshoot this laptop but the seriel number is QT0272GAHDR and it is an Apple 20gb .Please walk me through the steps to fix this problem.
Thanks,Honey

Try resetting the SMU by disconnecting it from the power sources and removing the battery. Then leaver it with no power for 5 minutes. Then see if it will reboot. If that dosn't fix then the hard drive might have went in that old Mac. Use the boot install disk (hopefully they gave you one) and boot with it by booting with the "c" button (to boot from a CD). when the installer first comes up go to the top menu items and find "Disk Utility". Use that to see if the drive is shot or not. If it is shot then get a new drive at place like Other World Computing and use the iFixIt guides to see how to replace a drive.

Good luck.

Back