Powermac advice

Paul C

Registered
Hi guys/gals

Basically I've convince my GF to buy a mac, she doesn't have much (about £150) so just as a starter I was going to get her a G5 Poermac off ebay, she will just be using it for Photoshop, internet, email and basic tasks, regards to Photoshop will she need something beefy or would she get away with a 1.6 G5 with a load of RAM?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I would have her save the money and save up to basic Mac mini. I say this because it will and be up to date for connections to all new online services. Plus the Intel chip will feel faster and replacing the RAM on it is very easy (just search RAMSeeker).

I have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3ghz, Its plenty fast for alot of applications, great for a beginner to macs and/or a first computer. Its only supported upto OSX Leopard 10.5.X but you can still upgrade the HDD/RAM cheap.

I picked mine up for only $340 with a 20" cinema display, added another 1Tb drive and the Airport /BT card and still paid under $500 for it all.

Finding software isnt hard, (PowerPC processor supported stuff) however if you already have a montor id do the new MacMini route or used Mac mini....

My PMG5 is just a spare computer and really couldnt beat the price for a PMG5 with display, when here in the states we pay $300 US for a used 20" Cinema Display.

Just my $.02

Back