powermac and windows server

haithaminator

Registered
hey i'm new. i have owned windows pc's all my life and am gonna buy a mac in 2 weeks.
i wanna get a dual ghz g4 with 1 gig of ram, dual 17inch studio dislpays, final cut pro 3, commercial grade 13" ntsc monitor, matrox real time pci card for fcp3. cannon xl1s etc.
i also wanna build a server with 8 harddrives so i can store my video on it from the mac. i wanna know if i can build that kind of server with windows 2000 server and share it with the powermac and my other pc. please email me with answers and suggestions.

i wanna build a server with 2 ultra scsi wide 18gb harddrives, 2 120gb 7200rpm ibm drives, and 6 60gb 7200rpm ibm drives. the server will have an athlon xp 1700+ 512 mb ram raid, scsiwin 2000 server, etc. i wanna know that if i built that if i could store files on there from the mac and retrieve them on the mac.
also i will use the server for my athlon box.
sorry if i sound dumb but iam only 15 and i want to figure this out. thanks

My dad was going to pay for half and me half. i calculated the entire system for about $9,765 to $10,000.
i wanna get into video editing and we have a extra game room upstairs that i want to convert into a digital studio and computer lab. we will have 1 g4, 2 pc's which are amd athlon xp 2000+ and pentium4 1.6 that i overclocked to 2.6ghz. and the server.
iam willing to do it cause my dad said he will pay for half. and my sister wants to go into journalsim so she can use final cut pro after she's done her senior year.

i just wanted to know if the g4 would cooperate with the server??
thanks.
i live in chevy chase, md so if you are close call me and maybe we could set this studio up and have our own design house!!!
well thanks

Originally posted by haithaminator
and pentium4 1.6 that i overclocked to 2.6ghz.

Let me get this straight: you overclocked a processor a full 1000MHz and it runs and is stable? Wow.

And yes, the Apple machine and the server will be just fine, as long as you turn on "Services for Macintosh" on the server. However, that won't be fast enough to edit digital video on -- you'll want to do that on the physical hard drive or drives inside of the G4, then transfer the files over to the server... unless, that is, you get gigabit ethernet... I still don't know if AppleTalk will be fast enough or networking at all will be fast enough for video editing/capturing.

Let us know when you get this set up. Take a picture while you're at it.

And another thing: I envy the hell out of you -- I only wish I could have seen $5000 when I was 15. You're dealing drugs, aren't you?! j/k

YEP I OVERCLOKED A P4 1.6A GHZ PROCESSOR TO 2.6 GHZ USING AIR COOLING! I USED AN ASUS P4B-266 MOTHERBOARD AND USED AN ALPHA COOLER ON THE CPU AND AN 80MM FAN.
UPED THE FSB TO 163MHZ AND I WAS ROCKIN AT 2608MHZ!!!!

MY ATHLON XP 1900+ WITH AGOGA CORE AT 2100+ SPEEDS CAN'T TOUCH THAT. WINDER IF MY DUAL G4 WILL (RUBS HANDS TOGETHER)
ARE U SURE IT WON'T BE FAST ENOUGH CAUSE MY FRIENDS DAD DID SOMETHING LIKE THIS BUT NOT ON THIS SCALE AND IT WAS GOOD BUT I NEVER SEE HIM SO I CAN'T ASK HIM HOW HE DID IT.
I WAS THINKING OF HAVING THE SERVER IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM RUNNING 2000SERVER OR LINUX AND FILL IT UP WITH 8 HARDDRIVES THAT WAY I DON'T HAVE TO PUT HARRDRIVES IN THE POWERMAC THAT WILL GET NICE AND TOASTY AND HAVE EXTERNAL FIREWIRES ONES THAT LOOK BAD ALL OVER THE PLACE.
PLZ TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.
ALSO WOULD CAT-5 OR 802.11B BE FASTER THAN ONE ANOTHER. I DON'T WANNA SPEND CLOSE TO $10,000 ON SOMETHING THAT WON'T WORK RIGHT.

NO IAM NOT A DRUG DEALER HAHA! MY DAD IS A LAWYER AND HIS SIDE OF THE FAMILY OWNS RESORTS IN THE CARRIBEAN AND CANCUN, MEXICO SO NO IAM NOT A DRUG DEALER!!! LOL
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES

I don't think 802.11 will be fast enough... I would go with gigabit ethernet with Cat6 cabling (I don't think Cat5 is rated for gigabit). I'd even consider putting the server in a different room -- or possibly in a closet -- with that many hard drives, it could get quite noisy and hot!

THANKS EL DIABLO.
I HOPE I DON'T SOUND DUMB BUT I THINK U KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT SO I WILL ASK YOU.
WHERE CAN I FIND GIGABIT ETHERNET STUFF AND WHAT WOULD I NEED. ALSO WOULD MY CABLE MODEM SUPPORT GIGABIT ETHERNET. IAM ONLY 15 SO I HAVE ALOT TO LEARN.
THANKS MAN.

Hmmm... check places like Macmall.com or Macwarehouse.com for gigabit ethernet stuff.

You'll neet a switch (not a router -- switches are better!) and you'll need the appropriate cabling. I think Cat6 is certified for gigabit ethernet, and if you've got a recent PowerMac, you've already got gigabit ethernet support in there. You'll need a gigabit ethernet card for the server, too, to establish a gigabit connection from the mac to the server.

Hope this helps! And be forewarned -- gigabit ethernet can get quite expensive, but it sounds like your family and you don't have too much of a problem with that -- which is lucky! Take advantage of that while you can before you have to buy it all yourself!

Originally posted by haithaminator
WHERE CAN I FIND GIGABIT ETHERNET STUFF AND WHAT WOULD I NEED. ALSO WOULD MY CABLE MODEM SUPPORT GIGABIT ETHERNET. IAM ONLY 15 SO I HAVE ALOT TO LEARN.
THANKS MAN.

Just like El Diablo mentioned, if you're getting a new Power Mac G4, you should be getting a gigabit network card with it. On the Windows 2000 machine, you'll have to buy a Gigabit network card since I don't believe they are that common yet on the windows side since 10/100Base-T will do fine for most common needs. Gigabit is definitely the way to go though, if you're doing video and can afford it. I think it's probably best to go with CAT6 but I've heard that the lastest revision to the Gigabit standard is supposed to work over CAT5 now, but I'm not sure.

I'd also definitely get an 802.11b card with your Mac when you get it, then if you have a laptop or ever get one in the future you can easily add it to your setup and not need to worry about wires. The good thing is, Apple is bringing back the software base station option in Jaguar so you can easily turn your Power Mac G4 into a base station and not need to buy one. I do it the hard way right now with a NATd script and it works great. You'll only get about 11 megabit/s max over wireless 802.11b though, so Gigabit or 1000 megabits/s will be better for most of what you'll be doing with video, but it's a very nice inexpensive addition.

You will want to get a switch and not a hub, like suggested. Switches are better since they don't divide up the bandwidth among each port on the hub from what I understand.

One other thing I might mention is FireWire. If you're working with digital video, FireWire is probably going to be a big thing. This past spring I believe the specifications for latest version of the FireWire standard was completed. The new FireWire is supposed to sport the traditional copper as well as fiber cabling with speeds from 800 Mb/s to 3.2 Gb/s where as the current FireWire only sports speeds up to 400 Mb/s. I believe the mainstream use version will only be at 800 Mb/s though, you'll need to go into the fiber or another specification under the standard to get faster speeds. I think the new FireWire standard even contains a specification for transmition over a wireless medium. I mention this since Apple has yet to release new hardware with the 800 Mb/s FireWire variety, which many are expecting them to do either this summer or fall which might be worth the wait to have it built in.

Originally posted by RHITMacMan
I think it's probably best to go with CAT6 but I've heard that the lastest revision to the Gigabit standard is supposed to work over CAT5 now, but I'm not sure.

Cat5e - Cabling that is the most ratified international standard to date. This cabling has a frequency range up to 100Mhz but can handle data rates up to Fast Ethernet (100Mb), Gigabit (1Gb) and ATM (155Mb). How do I make a cat5e cable?

Cat6 - Cabling that is already superseding Cat5e as users demand more bandwidth and flexibility. This cabling has a frequency range up to 250Mhz (300Mhz shielded) but can handle data rates in excess of the capability for Cat5e. It is used in medium to large scale installations where today's cabling installation needs to be future proof for the near future as technology moves forward and bandwidth upwards

Back