Powermac G4 -- Ugrade Questions

My friend has a Powermac G4 Sawtooth with OS 9.2.2 and 500-something MB of RAM. We bought a copy of OS X (10.4) to install on it and I had a few questions first:
• Do I have to upgrade anything like the Firmware before installing OS X?
• Do I need to do anything to the HD before installing OS X?
and
• Will there be any incompatibility with Powermac G4 Sawtooth hardware like the keyboard, mouse, etc... and OS X?

Thanks in Advance! :)

riccbhard said:
• Do I have to upgrade anything like the Firmware before installing OS X?
Nope.
Nope.
and
• Will there be any incompatibility with Powermac G4 Sawtooth hardware like the keyboard, mouse, etc... and OS X?
Nope.

Good luck!

I would always recommend keeping OS 9 and OS X on separate partitions, but it's not necessary -- just be sure the OS 9 partition is in good health and you can install OS X right on top of it (as long as the hard drive is HFS+ formatted).

'Do I have to upgrade anything like the Firmware before installing OS X?', no.

'Do I need to do anything to the HD before installing OS X?', no.

'Will there be any incompatibility with Powermac G4 Sawtooth hardware like the keyboard, mouse, etc... and OS X?', keyboard (if Apple) and mouse (if Apple) - no. While Panther (10.3.x) supports many many printers, Tiger (10.4.x) supports less - so, make sure to download any needed Tiger compatible printer / scanner drivers.

riccbhard said:
Not that this is needed... but I have found that most Mac OS 9 users tend to use the hard drive as a junk bin of sorts.

In Mac OS X, the upper most level of your hard drive is the operating system. Most of the parts are hidden, but making that area as clean as possible is a good idea.

I'd strongly suggest that before you install Mac OS X you make sure that anything extra on the upper most level of your drive has been put in a proper place (all apps should be in the Applications (MacOS 9) folder, pretty much everything else can go in the Documents folder).

House keeping before installing Mac OS X is a good idea. :D

We've had this discussion before, but I stopped using the documents folder because so many applications put their things there.

I finally just made a My Files folder instead.

Go here (read the contents of the web page and the related 'ReadMe' file) to determine whether or not you may need to install 'Open Firmware 4.2.8'. If so, the Firmware's software is available from the web page as well.

Back