Powermac G5 - Hey or nay?

Ifrit

Registered
So, I am saving up for a new Mac. This Mac will become my future workhorse - (I'll build a dedicated PC just for "gaming purpose" later - my XBox 360 serves me well currently) . My goal is to get an iMac 20'' but I don't really need the "additional monitor" because I already got two 21" screens. But I really want to use the two screens at once with OSX (dual screen setup). A few days ago a IT shop had/has G5 2GHz/Dual for sale - it costs around 800 - 900 EUR. (i just glanced over the price because I was just looking for Intel macs then)

My options are:

20'' imac - costs 1500 Eur but uses to much space on the desk - I already have two screens there which get lots of use.

mac mini (Intel) - no dual screen setup possible

Macbook - only dualscreen with 12'' and one 21'' not really my cup of tea
Macbook pro or Mac pro - to expensive - won't use all the power anyway

Would you recommend the G5 to me? Should I just suck it up and save for Mac pro? (which would take ages and I need a new Mac right now). Is the PowerPC platform even future proof the next 2 years?

I just need it for following things/applications:
Photoshop, storing my personal files (addresses, e-mail, etc), ZBrush, Final Cut Pro, Garageband, Corel Painter, Inkscape, converting lots of videofiles, creating DVDs, playing WoW ;).

20" iMac would be my choice , unless you are spoilt for cash. It's a great workhorse.

Any Euros left over could be spent on a MacBook Pro (if you can stretch that far).

Ok, I made up my mind. A colleague offered me a Powermac G5 Dual 2GHz with a Geforce 6800 for 900 Eur. :) That beats the price of an imac. Its powerfull enough to do be my "working slave" and I can upgrade it to a certain extent. The price difference (powermac - imac) is going towards more XBox360 games, iphone, macbook (non-pro) or a "gaming PC".

Back