Powermac G5 Not Recognizing Dvd-rs

mart1n

Registered
Hi,

I have a Powermac G5 dual 2GHz processor with a superdrive installed. It recognizes CDs fine but everytime I insert a DVD-R into the drive it waits for about 30 seconds and then ejects the DVD.

I am running Mac OS 10.3.9.

The machine is about 15 months old. I am not sure if a DVD has ever been tried before in this machine before.

Thanks Martin T

martint@ednainc.com

Update the SuperDrive's firmware - verify that they did send you a SuperDrive that supports -R's not just +R's in System Profiler.

I have run a firmware update already.

How do I determine -R versus +R capability?

What's the difference?

Below is the Profiler report:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D:

Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D
Revision: 1.08
Serial Number: DBDL928709WL
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

Thanks Martin T

Choose disc burning, but it should burn dvd-r's from that little info, it may be the brand of dvd-r's. -R and +R differ in capabilities. google it.

slooksterpsv said:
Update the SuperDrive's firmware - verify that they did send you a SuperDrive that supports -R's not just +R's in System Profiler.
Every SuperDrive ever shipped with a Macintosh computer supports DVD-R. There are no "SuperDrives" that burn DVD+R only.

Some people have had luck getting their SuperDrives to recognize certain types of media with resetting PRAM, and if that didn't help, resetting NVRAM.

PRAM reset: hold down Command-Option-P-R when your computer boots and keep them held down until your computer reboots three times.

NVRAM reset: boot into Open-firmware (hold down Command-Option-O-F as your computer boots), and once booted into Open-firmware, type "reset-nvram" (no quotes, of course), hit enter, then type "reset-all" and hit enter again.

Hope that helps!

What flavor DVD-R are you trying to insert? I've had some that
just sit in the drawer. The system doesn't see 'em at all, much
less have the courtesy to eject them. That said, the 106 is a 4X
DVD drive, so I'd be surprised if the more common 8X DVD-R's
will do squat. (I use 1X discs simply to be compatible with the
old consumer DVD recorder in the living room).

And don't try +R discs.

BTW, how does it do with commercial DVD movies?

Back