Powermac G5 Ram??

I suppose the next question is where do you go to buy ram for the PMac G5 that wont cost you your house, car, and first born. Not crucial.com yet apperently...

I don't have the specs yet, so my guess would be anywhere you can get G4 memory, they will eventually have the G5 ram.

I've had good experience buy the lowest RAM configuration on the mac then buy from either 18004memory.com or memory4less.com. Just look for DDR 3200.

In all sites i've accessed that sell DDR 3200 ram, the highest allocation is 512MB. The only 1GB DDR ram is 2700. Would this work and if so what are the disadvantages?

Originally posted by thisbechuck
I suppose the next question is where do you go to buy ram for the PMac G5 that wont cost you your house, car, and first born. Not crucial.com yet apperently...
Crucial has 512 sticks for $89 each.
Apple is charging WAY too much!

Originally posted by thisbechuck
In all sites i've accessed that sell DDR 3200 ram, the highest allocation is 512MB. The only 1GB DDR ram is 2700. Would this work and if so what are the disadvantages?

I wouldn't chance it. Stick with what the spec's require.

any new info on this? Crucial now offers the G5 PowerMac as something you can buy ram for, but the highest allocation is still 512MB.

Looks like Pricewatch.com has a number (8 or more) of sources for 1 GB PC3200 starting at about $175US (BTW, Pricewatch listings for 512MB PC3200 start at $67US - - that's a big leap in price point, almost triple for twice the memory!)

I'm going to add a 512MB chip to the existing 512 that comes with the G5. I've been pretty happy with 1.2 GB of ram in my G4 and with 8 ram slots, I"m not too woried about using smaller chips in the G5.

Someone mentioned DDR2700 wich is what the low end G5 requires. This is from apple's site:

Note: Power Mac G5 systems with 4 memory slots use DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) and systems with 8 memory slots use DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200). You should purchase DDR SDRAM that has been tested and approved for your system. If you don't purchase memory directly from Apple, be sure tocheck with the third-party manufacturer to verify compatibility before purchase.

Back