PowerMac (MDD) won't boot...

TheBattman

I'd rather be fishin'
My old dualie (main home computer) was shut down properly last night (I don't turn it off very often, but had company over who slept in the same room as computer).

This morning, no boot. No fans, no light, no sound of any kind. I tried pressing the PMU reset button. That made no difference. I unplugged for about 10 minutes and tried again. Power button lights up for a couple of seconds then fades off. Still no sounds or other lights. After that one time pressing the power button, subsequent presses of the button result in no light at all.

Puzzled. All was working well when shut down last night...

When you pressed the PMU button, did you follow all the correct procedures for doing so? I say this because there is a specific set of steps to follow when resetting the PMU... they're not at all hard, but each step is detrimental to whether the PMU gets reset correctly or not (ie, pulling the power plug completely out of the computer before pressing the button, pressing the button for the correct duration, etc.).

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86760

As eric2006 said, a dead logic board battery can also cause this -- resetting the PMU uses power stored in the battery, and if the battery no longer holds a charge, then resetting the PMU cannot happen.

Back