Poweroutage, now disk won't mount - bad SUPER BLOCK?

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
Powermac G5 Rev A with dual 250GB internal SATA disks. The startup disk is fine, however my secondary storage disk will not mount. When OSX starts it asks me if I want to initialize the drive. I clicked Ignore...

So now I'm wondering if there is any way to recover or repair the drive. Disk Utility is useless, it fails instantly. I have a copy of Tech Tool Pro 4.0 but apparently that only can repair mounted disks?

From the command line I ran `fsck /dev/disk0`
It says:
BAD SUPERBLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS? [Y/N] y

SEARCH FOR ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK FAILED. YOU MUST USE THE -b OPTION TO FSCK TO SPECIFY THE LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION;

Does anybody have any suggestions for CLI disk repair or recovery?

There already is a CLI for this. It's called fsck

fsck -b32 /device

I believe 32 is your next alternate super block

Think `dumpfs` will give you a whole bunch more.

DiskWarrior saved my bacon. Apparently the drive is going bad (I got a message from DW saying so). Regardless, it recovered EVERYTHING. Can't praise it enough!

DiskWarrior saved my bacon. Apparently the drive is going bad (I got a message from DW saying so). Regardless, it recovered EVERYTHING. Can't praise it enough!

You have had a gaggle of problems lately. Maybe a hard disk change would be a good deal. Whatever you decided to do just do a backup now. I say this because I now in my heart it is just a matter of time before that disk dies for good.

I wouldn't say a gaggle of problems... it was the same problem (the drive going bad), I just thought it was caused by a hard reboot.

I'm copying everything to an external disk right now...

Back