PowerPC is dead. PowerMacs? PowerBooks?

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
what are they going to be called? steve jobs never mentioned Powermacs or Powerbooks once. .. the power line only appeared after the switch to PPC. what are they going to be called when they have intel inside?

Similarly, what will the processor designation be? I'm guessing not G6. And what will transfer over to the new processor first? Logically I'd think it would be the Powerbook as people have been crying out for the upgrade, though we could see Powermac & Powerbook move over together.

I think some names will stay the same. At least eMac and iMac. PowerMac? Well Maybe, but it's not referring to the PowerPC inside then, more like what you can do with it. But I don't think we'll see another PowerBook... iBook stays with us I think.

They won't call it G6. IBM gave the name to the G3, G4 and G5. That remains an interesting question how they gonna call it the new processor line.

PowerBooks were called PowerBooks long before the arrival of the PowerPC processor. I've had a PowerBook 150 (68LC030 processor), 180c (68030), a 520c (68LC040) and a 190 (68LC040) before my first PowerPC PowerBook (5300ce with a PPC 603 processor running at 117 MHz).

PowerBooks will probably stay "PowerBooks" since they had that name from the beginning, as was mentioned earlier. The xMac will remain as will the Mac mini. As for the name "Power Mac", it might just revert to what it was before the switch from 68K to PPC, which was simply "Macintosh". This is unless Steve has another name in mind for the high end towers.

In the keynote, he was talking about "Mac" (which includes all Macs, of course). "Macintosh" hasn't been used by Apple in quite a while. I guess they _could_ keep the name "PowerMac", however, the shift in processors certainly is also a chance for the marketing department. They could call it the Xstation (derived from Xserve, of course), which could be said to come from "Mac OS X work-station". (By the way, Steve doesn't say "ten-serve", right? It's "Eks-serve"... Hum...)

fryke said:
In the keynote, he was talking about "Mac" (which includes all Macs, of course). "Macintosh" hasn't been used by Apple in quite a while. I guess they _could_ keep the name "PowerMac", however, the shift in processors certainly is also a chance for the marketing department. They could call it the Xstation (derived from Xserve, of course), which could be said to come from "Mac OS X work-station". (By the way, Steve doesn't say "ten-serve", right? It's "Eks-serve"... Hum...)

Xstation.....hmm...sounds like a throwback to something from Steve's past. :D

Apple would never stick the intelinside logo on the actual computer. that is just poor taste :)
So what do we reckon? will the powerbooks be the first macs with the new chip, or will they first migrate the iBook, mac mini etc. one reason for migrating the consumer line first would be that they allready have the iApps ready and consumers generally don't need a lot of truelly important applications that depend on stellar performance (like sound recording apps etc).

chadwick said:
Wonder if they'll stick the Intel Inside logo on the boxes...

I dread that day. My clean "whatever" (will there be Dual Macs left after the switch?) case would look hideous to me with a Intel logo on it. :eek:

If you listen... Steve did refer to the Intel developer mac as Powermac when he spoke about shipping them for $999 and that he'd expect them to be returned...
It was a slight 'loss for words' moment, but he did say it... and honestly I have no reason to believe that it was inappropriate...
The 1st commercial powermac will probably be a dual dual-core Special named Pentium chip machine anyway... "power" would certainly apply

Back