PPoE and Jaguar problems...(10.2.2)

TheBattman

I'd rather be fishin'
Immediately after the software update from 10.2.1 to 10.2.2, I began having problems with my PPoE based DSL service.

Normally, my service stays up 24/7, but now when I am away from the computer for more than an hour or so, the service goes down. Entourage returns connection failure reports. My weather/temp in the menubar changes to N/A. Internet Connect indicates that I am still connected, but nothing works - not web browsing, not email, not FTP, nothing, yet the OS doesn't seem to notice.

I manually disconnect and click to connect - it gets to the "looking for PPoE" and then just stalls there. I have tried everything I can think of to rectify the problem. The only thing to work thus far is a reboot (one of the reason's I liked OS X was far fewer re-boots). A reboot fixes the problem every time - but it returns when the computer is inactive for over an hour. There are no settings to close connections after inactivity. My provider doesn't appear to be shutting down the connection. The only thing I can figure is that it is the OS/Internet Connect. So why do I have to reboot to get it working again?

Please help!

Are you letting your machine go to sleep during these inactive periods? PPPoE connections usually have difficulty staying connected during sleep mode, although Internet Connect may report that you're still connected in error. Also, going to sleep may be the reason that you need to restart to get your PPPoE connection working again -- I have the same problems. I just don't let my system go to sleep when I need a connection.

When you are using PPPoE you are getting a DHCP lease, and if the DHCP lease expires or is some how nullified you are going to lose connection. Does it ever happen when you are using the computer, like after an hour of browsing your connection will just drop? Also, you shouldn't have to reboot, if you logout and then log back in that should have the same effect as rebooting. I know with my ADSL (not PPPoE), that if I let my TiBook sleep it will drop the connection, but it seems to pick it right back up when I take it out of sleep. For example, if I'm signed onto MSN messenger and I put it to sleep and then wake it right back up, MSN will still say I'm signed in until I try to message someone then it will say, "Your network connection has been lost."

I have only noticed a dropped connection while using the computer once - every other time has been after the machine goes to sleep.

What's interesting is that I 100% did NOT have this problem before the update from 10.2.1 to 10.2.2. This was definately introduced (at least for me) by the update.

I initially tried just logging out and back in - I still cannot get a PPoE connection. I have to reboot....nothing else will get it back to working.

Try this:

In a terminal window type:

sudo ipconfig set en0 BOOTP
sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP
_
where en0 is the interface connecting to the DSL modem.

Let me know if that works.

Back