Predictions for WWDC

Ceroc Addict

Registered
With WWDC just over a week away, I thought I'd kick up another prediction thread. :D

What I think SJ will spring on us, in descending order of likelihood:

• iTunes 4.9 demo of podcasting support, plus a few podcasting plugs
  • Australian iTunes music store
  • 5G iPod, with iPod mini casing, a color screen and maybe wireless
  • Motorola iTunes phone
  • Updated Mac mini (he'll probably point out the growing economy in Mac mini accessories)
  • Tablet Mac
  • Asteroid breakout box ("Just one more thing"?)
What I think isn't on the cards (but would be happy to be proved wrong on)
  • Powerbook G5
  • Updates to the eMac, iMac or PowerMac (because we've just had a recent spate of updates on these - although I remember Apple updating the 15" Ti PB just before SJ announced the 12" and 17" Al PBs)
What I really wish SJ would spring on us, but again, seems unlikely
  • 23" iMac
  • 10" PB or Newton II (maybe a tablet would seem like a biggish handheld)
  • Video iPod
  • Online video store
  • Support for labelled bookmarks for audio files in iTunes for iTunes/iPod
Kap

I'd like to see Apple finish the Apple Works replacement. OK iWork was just the start, please get it finished Apple so we can have a decent suite with out adding to MS's overflowing coffers. I need a decent spreadsheet, Apple Works just doesn't cut it nor does Mariner or Mesa.

I use NeoOffice/J which is great but overkill for most home users.

Ceroc Addict said:
With WWDC just over a week away, I thought I'd kick up another prediction thread. :D

What I think SJ will spring on us, in descending order of likelihood:

• iTunes 4.9 demo of podcasting support, plus a few podcasting plugs
  • Australian iTunes music store
  • 5G iPod, with iPod mini casing, a color screen and maybe wireless
  • Motorola iTunes phone
  • Updated Mac mini (he'll probably point out the growing economy in Mac mini accessories)
  • Tablet Mac
  • Asteroid breakout box ("Just one more thing"?)
What I think isn't on the cards (but would be happy to be proved wrong on)
  • Powerbook G5
  • Updates to the eMac, iMac or PowerMac (because we've just had a recent spate of updates on these - although I remember Apple updating the 15" Ti PB just before SJ announced the 12" and 17" Al PBs)
What I really wish SJ would spring on us, but again, seems unlikely
  • 23" iMac
  • 10" PB or Newton II (maybe a tablet would seem like a biggish handheld)
  • Video iPod
  • Online video store
  • Support for labelled bookmarks for audio files in iTunes for iTunes/iPod
Kap

Only a week away already...jeez, it felt like just yesterday the January one was here.

My Guess is :
Powerbook/iBook Tablet
Mac Mini updates (Bluetooth/Airport Standard and 512MB of RAM standard)
iBook updates (512 MB of Ram Standard)
iTunes 4.9

The iPod's were just updated, so unless the addition of a VideoPod at the $499 price mark (60/80 GB Hard drive)

I don't care about a PowerBook G5 but I wish they would come out with a notebook that has a higher resolution screen. I KNOW the exist, sony has a nice 10 inch with a 1280x768 screen. Yes everything is small but that is what I like, I feel so restricted at 1024x768. When using eclipse and having all the panes open my code window is soooo small! I can deal with scrolling up and down, but I HATE side scrolling. I also have to max out my Safari window too much, I really don't like my browser taking up the full screen. When I use Windows now it makes me shudder when i hit he maximize button and it goes full screen.

If they came out with a high res or lightweight wide screen iBook or PowerBook I would probably try to sell my iBook to upgrade. (which i really shouldn't do because I have become obsessed with buying computers and I already have to replace my PC)

My PB 12" 867Mhz needs a logic board replacement because of a messed up headphones jack. I am reluctant to pay US$500 for it to be repaired by Apple, so I'm looking to upgrade to the new 12" that comes out (I really want Giga Ethernet, backlit keyboards etc,.) - but I'd miss the current Synaptics trackpads and RPC-1 firmware for my SUperDrive.

iBook mini | Newton.

iBook mini is a small version of the iBook but without a flip open screen. instead it is a tablet called "iBook mini". uses finger touch screen as input, mabey no stylis used.

Newton, an "A5" sized multimedia device that we all want, kind if like a big brother to the iPod line. This is not a PDA! "A5" is too big for a PDA.

Either one of those and I will buy right away. whatever the features are i'm sure it will be excellent.

why would you be interested in a VideoPod? That would be impractical in my opinion. The screen size on the iPod is the first limiting factor. If it'll be used with an external display, then why simply not use the computer you use to load the media onto the VideoPod?

gphillipk said:
why would you be interested in a VideoPod? That would be impractical in my opinion. The screen size on the iPod is the first limiting factor. If it'll be used with an external display, then why simply not use the computer you use to load the media onto the VideoPod?

They have video on phone screens now, why not an iPod screen (which is generally bigger)? Although I know that I personally would not buy one.

video on phone screens is AWFUL. apple have a tendancy to do something very well, or not at all. video on small screens is just not good enough. Someone showed me Alien Vs Predator on his N-Gage. the novelty was fun, but the enoding was abysmal, and all it was was smudgy colours.

i would love to see apple expand on its ipod photo by increasing its screen size, and making it more friendly as a digital wallet/multimedia player...

Had a few insights about this rumoured tablet - if it's small/portable enough it could trump both the iPod photo and video iPod.

• Photos could be synced directly to an iPhoto library
  • Obviously with Quicktime (and whatever other players you'd want), it'd handle lots of video formats
  • An EyeTV could be hooked up directly for recording (and viewed on the road)
  • Video footage could be uploaded from a video camera on the road

(Fingers crossed :D )

Kap

Sales numbers
Ultra portable iB or PB
HD-TV software and 1900x1200 17" or 20" PB
1900x1200 23" iM

iPod evolutions...

Dual core ?

It's a developers' conference mainly. Keep that in mind. Video software is a main thing for Apple, but not for the developers. And all those cool hardware thingies: Why not. But then again: It's a developers' conference. Just keep it in mind and don't get your hopes up too much.

how about a video pod that allows you to watch its screen but also allows you to feed the video into your TV? or maybe the tablet, with its larger screen will be the video pod? i havent given up on the idea of video pod just bcz the current pods are too small.

Back