print to file on driver level - is it poseble?

ironchef

Registered
hi all.
i am trying to find a way to do something that on a pc is very easy.
in pc it is possible to assign print to file on in driver level to any printer driver installed. so any thing u print to this printer (real or virtual) creates a file.
this enables the user to print to file whiteout opening the file in its native app.
sadly i was not able to find something like that in mac.
i got through making a virtual printer. but if i want to save as postscript i still must open a file (any printable) in its native app and print from there.
i am looking for a solution that will enable me to right click for example a text document and choose "print" from the right click menu and it will automatically creates a postscript file.
thanks all.

...i am looking for a solution that will enable me to right click for example a text document and choose "print" from the right click menu and it will automatically creates a postscript file.
thanks all.
What are you talking about Willis? This has been a highly publicized feature of MacOS X since it was released. And, yes it is easy.

In the print dialog, under the "PDF" button, you should see "Save PDF as Postscript". This will let you "print" the document to a postscript file.

i am lokin for a way to make postscript file, NOT from the "save pdf as postscript" but directly from the print button (like it was before osx).

every one sayes go to the " save pdf as postscript" but it is not my intention.
i am lokinig for a different way to make postscript file, other then the regoler one.
i have lots of reasons to not want to use the "save pdf as postscript" command.
and i am loking for another way.
i f you don't have an answer for me
then don't tell me that i was already replied! cos i was NOT!

The printer dialog trick is how you do it in Mac OS X. You can't have what you want unless you code it yourself... that's the bottom line.

but i accedentliy found an example that a print dialog crated a file using the print button.
i installed macromedia studio 8.
and it put in my printer list a printer called epapre.
printing anything to this printer makes a .swf file next to the original.
so..basically it is posible to "print" to a file and not "save to" it.
but like u said.. ill have to code it myself.

this is abummer, i wanted to make an easy way to batch print to file some freehand files (about a million);)
guess it cant be done.

Well, something like that can be done... have you tried Apple's application, Automator?

i have tryed to make an automator app to batch print to file freehand files.
but the "print finder item" in automator dosnt have a built in option to print to file. it can only be done via the "save pdf as.ps" command in the print dialog window.
this is way i am trying to make a printer that will print to file directly. so i can put it in the "print finder items" in automator.
unless anyone have another idea.

:(

I looked through all of Apple's automater scripts -even the ones online- and couldn't find what you need.

I fail.

Back