Printer Driver Support for the Intel Macs.

Tinchohs

Registered
Hi, I have a MacBookPro and I am having problems installing the Printer driver for the HP Photosmart 7350. The installation seems to work fine, yet when I select the printer from the list, it has no driver assigned, and the driver is no where to be found.

I was wondering if thi might in any way be realted to lack of support for the Intel Mac. Someone in HP mentioned this, yet I found nothing on their site.

Any pointer or idea is welcome. Thanks so much. Martin.

simbalala said:

Not too helpful, that...

Make sure you have already downloaded the latest drivers from the HP web site.
Problem is HP does not have a driver that will help you with the Intel system you have now.
Try this: Find your Printer Setup Utility, and select the utility (don't open it just yet, just click to select it). Then, Get Info from the File menu. Now put a check in the box 'Open with Rosetta'
Now,double-click to open Printer Setup Utility, and you should be able to add your printer.

Hi DeltaMac, thanks SO much for your clarification. I have a follow-up question (sorry if obvious but quite new to Mac).

I downloaded the installer for the driver from HP. If I 'Get Info' of this file I do not find any option to click ' Open with Rosetta'. So I am guessing that the 'Printer Set-up utility' that you mention above is a different thing? Where and how do I access it?

Thanks SO much. I really hop this works, because thinking on changing printers among everything else is quite a strech (finacially and emotionally)... ;)

Thanks again. Martin.

Your Printer Setup Utility is in your Applications/Utilities folder.

Installing the HP software does not need rosetta
When you open your Printer Setup Utility with rosetta, it will allow you to view and add printers that have printer drivers installed, but are not Intel-compatible (which is something that rosetta allows you to do)

Don't try to look for Rosetta - it is completely transparent to you - and works when it is needed.

I found it. This is the outcome.

I was able to install. Nonetheless, it still does not show me a driver when I add a printer in the Printer Set-up Utility. What I did was use the driver from a newer Photosmart Printer (which is in Beta). It prints ramdonly (some times it looses the communication or does not print).

Is there any way to manually add the driver in a cerain location so it's available when I am offered to choose one - given that the default one it's now showing up?

I tried as well making it a network printer and using Bonjour, but the problem persists.

Thanks SO much for your support. Martin.

If all else fails, and while you are waiting for a driver that works with your Intel Mac, you may want to try this:

1. Open Printer Setup Utility (in Applications/Utilities, of course). I actually invoke Spotlight by pressing Command-Space (Apple key = command). Then I type in 'printer setup' and then arrow down one to Printer Setup Utility. Just a shortcut.

2. Click the Add Printer button. Make sure the Default Browser button is selected at the top of the window.

3. Make sure your printer is plugged in. It should show up on the printer list in the window.

4. Click on your printer.

5. Click on the "Print Using" drop-down list.
6, Click on HP.
7. Select HP Photosmart 1100, which you'll find near the bottom of the HP drivers.
8. Click the add button.

This is an open-source GIMP Print driver (or whatever they have changed the name to now). It will not likely work as well as a driver from HP. But it may work well enough to get rid of your hardware headache.

Let us know how it works if you try it.

Doug

Hi Doug, thanks SO much. I did as you suggested. My preliminary tests worked fine for printing text (like e-mails). I got some garbage printing when I tryed more 'graphical content' from a PDF file. As I get more precise information I will post it here.

Thanks so much. Martin.

You might also want to try the Photosmart 1000. I also tried the Deskjet 900 (or whatever it was) with my Photosmart 7760.. The graphics looked bad, though. I was trying to print through my Airport Express. Eventually I found a better solution in my case (Access the printer through the Bonjour zeroconf protocol).

Doug

A few clarifications...

#1. Make sure that you download a version of the HP photosmart installer
that supports 10.4. (Eg, version 3.1 of HP Photosmart -- HP_Photosmart_Installer_10.2-10.4.dmg)

#2. As stated in previous posts, launch the printer setup utility after
turning on Rosetta.

#3. You may have to click the 'More Printers' button. And then select
"hp photosmart". And then (hopefully) the printer will show up. In my
case it was the HP Photosmart 7350.

Following the above I can now print text documents from my Mac Mini Intel
machine. But... trying to print a photo did not work. One stripe of the image
would print on one page, another stripe on another page, and so on. Hard
to tell if this was the USB driver, or what.

Perhaps there's a reason why HP hasn't yet released a Universal binary
version of this stuff -- maybe they have too many bugs?

Oh, and this business of having to quit all applications while running the
installer!? That's just ridiculous.

-ETA

Back