Printer Repairing Permissions?

Jospehys

Registered
Tried installing printer driver software. There was some message, that might have been about "software for the printer was installed incorrectly", then asked if I want to repair the thing, I agreed and it started repairing permissions. In the end it still didn't properly work.

The question I have is - what does repairing permissions mean in this context? I read articles and definitions and don't get it in this context. Did it mean the installer simply moved the driver under Mac's command or something? Normal Mac thing, nothing to worry about?

I think that depends on whether you could get the printer to work, or not!
Maybe the printer software just is not compatible with the version of operating system that you are running.
Many printers are available to the system, just by connecting through the normal hardware connection, such as USB, or network - either ethernet or wireless.
Then, you can add the printer through your System Preferences, then the Printers & Scanners pref pane.
When it is added there (and it may already show up as an available printer in that pane), then open your App Store, then the Updates tab, then wait to see if any updates for your printer are available there. If so, click the update button. Maybe that all will help you use your printer :D

If you can't get your printer to work - tell us about your setup:
What Mac do you have, and what version of the macOS are you running?
What brand and model of printer are you trying to use? How is it connected to your Mac?

Couldn't get to work! :D Sounds like incompatibility issue? Not like something actually broke or was corrupted - the word "fix" in "fixing permissions" got me nervous. :D

Maybe the printer software just is not compatible with the version of operating system that you are running.
Many printers are available to the system, just by connecting through the normal hardware connection, such as USB, or network - either ethernet or wireless.
Then, you can add the printer through your System Preferences, then the Printers & Scanners pref pane.
When it is added there (and it may already show up as an available printer in that pane), then open your App Store, then the Updates tab, then wait to see if any updates for your printer are available there. If so, click the update button. Maybe that all will help you use your printer :D

What brand and model of printer are you trying to use? How is it connected to your Mac?

I can't find anything from App Shop.
Thanks for the idea, I can use this for newer printers in future! :D

But... this model, made some research, seems to be so damn old...

El Capitan 10.11.6
Mac mini (Late 2014)
Canon MP 160

Yes. Seems that Canon stopped providing driver updates for that printer at 10.7, probably about 5 years ago.
The Pixma MP160 is not supported in the Canon download from Apple, either.
That's likely your clue that you need to move to a newer printer model.

Yes. Seems that Canon stopped providing driver updates for that printer at 10.7, probably about 5 years ago.
The Pixma MP160 is not supported in the Canon download from Apple, either.
That's likely your clue that you need to move to a newer printer model.

Well then, tech seems to move faster than I can keep up! :D

So this repair permissions thing I got when installing that freeware driver software Gutenprint came from simple incompatibility and not from something dangerous or malicious to Mac?

Last edited:
Well then, tech seems to move faster than I can keep up! :D

So this repair permissions thing I got when installing that freeware driver software Gutenprint came from simple incompatibility and not from something dangerous or malicious to Mac?
"Repair Permissions" is simply modifying the ownership of those files, to some level which is related to the rest of your files and software, sort of a final "matching" of the files to the operation that uses that file.
It is becoming an obsolete tool, as Apple has removed the standard usage for the tool from the system. If you have been around Macs for a few years, you will notice that printer software seems to be the most often reported as needing the repair process.
But, in the end, it's really not an issue that needs a lot of attention, at least at the user level.
And, maybe to answer your question: Not dangerous or malicious, just normal life with a Mac and macOS.

"Repair Permissions" is simply modifying the ownership of those files, to some level which is related to the rest of your files and software, sort of a final "matching" of the files to the operation that uses that file.
It is becoming an obsolete tool, as Apple has removed the standard usage for the tool from the system. If you have been around Macs for a few years, you will notice that printer software seems to be the most often reported as needing the repair process.
But, in the end, it's really not an issue that needs a lot of attention, at least at the user level.
And, maybe to answer your question: Not dangerous or malicious, just normal life with a Mac and macOS.

I'm just learning ins and outs of Mac, so for me it was a bit confusing. :D
Thank you for all the help! This answers my question!

Hello and sorry again!

Regarding the old printer, I didn't mention I used decade old installation CD that did not work for printing, but it did get scanner to work. But should I even use so old software in Mac? Could it's old nature cause security holes (some not patched up security holes etc)? Should I remove it all together?

No, printing tends to stop working more often than scanning. I have also found that scanning will often work without installing any software, because the scanning software that is native to your Apple system uses the scanning hardware directly, and the software for the scanner often will not even be needed, as the system will see the scanner, and probably work good enough to scan (but may not have the quality of image that you might like) It will vary somewhat from scanner to scanner. The printer part is usually the software that needs to be updated to work when the system is updated, and the manufacturer has to provide support for that to happen.

I think printer software is not a security issue, but just a support issue for the manufacturer. It either works, or it doesn't work.
Just some frustration sometimes for you, the user.

No, printing tends to stop working more often than scanning. I have also found that scanning will often work without installing any software, because the scanning software that is native to your Apple system uses the scanning hardware directly, and the software for the scanner often will not even be needed, as the system will see the scanner, and probably work good enough to scan (but may not have the quality of image that you might like) It will vary somewhat from scanner to scanner. The printer part is usually the software that needs to be updated to work when the system is updated, and the manufacturer has to provide support for that to happen.

I think printer software is not a security issue, but just a support issue for the manufacturer. It either works, or it doesn't work.
Just some frustration sometimes for you, the user.

Thank you! Didn't know about the Apple's native scanning software.
So if keep the old installed scanning software on Mac, it wouldn't be dangerous, dragging system down or being weakening to security influence due to its old age?

Sure, but why take the chance? There's seldom a good reason to keep old software, if it doesn't work.

On the other hand - other than taking up space, I don't expect there's any real danger. I have a couple of items that I installed years ago, even before OS X. I used one app until I got my first iMac in 1999. The app stays on my system, as a permanent part of my backup. Can't run for the original purpose. I trashed the hardware that used it years ago, which connected to Apple's old Din-8? serial port, but there's a screen animation for an old MIDI interface that I keep as part of that app, just cause it's cool!

Sure, but why take the chance? There's seldom a good reason to keep old software, if it doesn't work.

On the other hand - other than taking up space, I don't expect there's any real danger. I have a couple of items that I installed years ago, even before OS X. I used one app until I got my first iMac in 1999. The app stays on my system, as a permanent part of my backup. Can't run for the original purpose. I trashed the hardware that used it years ago, which connected to Apple's old Din-8? serial port, but there's a screen animation for an old MIDI interface that I keep as part of that app, just cause it's cool!

Haha, Rule of Cool. :)
Thank you for that advice. If old software won't become a security hole, I won't worry. Who knows, maybe I'll want to keep something cool looking in future myself!

Well, scanner software still works. But the printer drivers that came from CD were useless. So I was wondering if to delete them. There are 3 questions.
1) Is it safe to just delete printer drivers from users/username/library/printer ?

I checked the folder and there were MP160 and MP160-1, likely because I tried installing more than twice. I clicked both, but they only gave window about service unavailable or not working.
I considered deleting them, but my Mac finished installing security update and wanted restart. So I let it and when restart was done I went to check the library/printer folder again ... and both MP160 files were gone!

2) Did Mac itself remove them after I tried to open them and they were useless?

3) In canon website it allows to check if there are drivers that match OS. Would it be dangerous for example, for El Capitan OS to try and install drivers meant for Lion? Or would the issue just be if it works or not?
I'm just wondering if there is more to dividing drivers by OS than incompatibility.

Last edited:
The drivers won't be in that location. The Users/username/Library/Printers is for the printer queue files, That's what you use whenever you access the printer, but are not the printer files/drivers. You will find those in the /Library/Printers/ folder, where you will likely find other printer brands, such as Epson or HP, maybe others. That folder is your actual printer drivers. Easiest thing that you can do now is go in to System Preferences, then the Printers pane. Right-Click on the printer list, and you will see a short drop-down menu.
Click on the item "Reset printing system…".
It will ask you if you are sure? Click OK. Wait a few seconds, and anything in that list will disappear.
You can delete your printer model from that Printers folder in /Library. You could even delete folders for printer brands that you don't have, as those would be replenished if you get one of those other printers.

The drivers won't be in that location. The Users/username/Library/Printers is for the printer queue files, That's what you use whenever you access the printer, but are not the printer files/drivers. You will find those in the /Library/Printers/ folder, where you will likely find other printer brands, such as Epson or HP, maybe others. That folder is your actual printer drivers. Easiest thing that you can do now is go in to System Preferences, then the Printers pane. Right-Click on the printer list, and you will see a short drop-down menu.
Click on the item "Reset printing system…".
It will ask you if you are sure? Click OK. Wait a few seconds, and anything in that list will disappear.
You can delete your printer model from that Printers folder in /Library. You could even delete folders for printer brands that you don't have, as those would be replenished if you get one of those other printers.

Ah, that explains why they disappeared then.
So it is fine to delete the "Library/Printers folder with the MP160 files? And that would delete drivers?
Sorry, I'm still getting used to Mac's system.

"Reset printing system" will remove the MP160 files in your user/Library/Printers folder immediately. That reset does not affect the drivers that you might have installed, just the printer queues that you create when you add a printer in your System Preference.
You have to go to /Library/Printers, and remove those files manually.
You will have to browse through the folders there, and find the Canon folder, where you should find the MP160 files. Should have the name of the printer model, so it should be easy to find. You probably will need to authenticate with your admin password to move files in that /Library folder.
But, leaving those files in place likely won't interfere in the future, because (I assume) you won't be using the MP160 on your Mac, now that you know it is not supported. Other printers won't use the MP160 drivers. This is not Windows, where the registry can give you real problems - there's no registry in OS X in any case :D

"Reset printing system" will remove the MP160 files in your user/Library/Printers folder immediately. That reset does not affect the drivers that you might have installed, just the printer queues that you create when you add a printer in your System Preference.
You have to go to /Library/Printers, and remove those files manually.
You will have to browse through the folders there, and find the Canon folder, where you should find the MP160 files. Should have the name of the printer model, so it should be easy to find. You probably will need to authenticate with your admin password to move files in that /Library folder.
But, leaving those files in place likely won't interfere in the future, because (I assume) you won't be using the MP160 on your Mac, now that you know it is not supported. Other printers won't use the MP160 drivers. This is not Windows, where the registry can give you real problems - there's no registry in OS X in any case :D

Yeah, as a printer it's useless for Mac. :)
Though the scanner for it works right now with the software I got from old installation CD. Would be no harm to use scanner whenever I need it?

Back