Printer Sharing on a iMAC

MSGGumby

Registered
Hello, I have a iMAC running 10.5.5 and have connected a HP Photosmart C6280 Printer to it via the USB cable. Using Bonjour to connect a XP and a Vista box I get a error saying "ERROR You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer". I am logged in as the administrator when I do it on the XP or Vista computer and have completed this function on other printer installation before so I know the permissions are there. The software for the printer is loaded on both windows computers.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I ran the print therapy and it did change 2 permissions but came up with a lot of missing files listed below, any suggestions.

Thanks

Saturday, November 8, 2008 2:54:11 PM
Starting permission verification and repair...

The permissions for the directory /private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss are incorrect!
They are drwxrwxr-x, but should be drwxr-xr-x
Repaired.
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-1 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-2 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-7 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1254 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-874 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-10 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-3 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-8 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1250 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1255 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-13 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-4 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-9 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1251 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1256 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-14 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-5 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/koi8-r is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1252 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1257 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-15 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-6 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/koi8-u is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1253 is missing!
The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1258 is missing!
The owner setting for the file /Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist is incorrect!
It is 501, but should be 0
Repaired.

Recreating symbolic links...
Done.

Verification complete.

4990 files examined. 2 permission problems were found and repaired. It is recommended that you verify the permissions again to make sure the values are correct.

25 missing files/directories found during the verification process. They may be responsible for certain printing problems. Print Therapy cannot replace these items. Please refer to the log file for a list of the missing files/directories. You may need to reinstall OS X to resolve your printing issues. Certain files and directories are deleted when using the Reset Printing System option. These files and directories, if required, will be recreated during normal printing.

Use the Utility (one of the tabs) and install CUPS and also use the program to start CUPS.

I saw that the cups file that downloaded was a bzip tar file. I dabble in linux a little and am not that experienced in this type of down load. it unzipped the file in the downloads directory. a little assistance to put me in the right direction might help me to configure the file. Thanks

Well the program has a "Start CUPS" button in the CUPS tool. Also you can start the old fashion way by opening Terminal (you said you knew Linux) and type: cupsenable

This will start CUPS.

Back