Printer Sharing Through Vpn

ohmelas

Registered
Hey Gang,

I have a B&W G3 (OS 10.3.x), a XP Box (SP1), a Powerbook (OS X.3.x) and a Dual G4 (OS X.3.x). I have a Linksys wireless G router with VPN support. I'm taking the Powerbook with me to Afghanistan. I will have network access in Afghanistan and have cablemodem at home. If I want to write my wife love letters and have them print out on the printer at home while I'm in Afghanistan so that when she comes home they are waiting for her on the printer how do I do this? Short form of question---remote printing. Do I need Timbukto or something?

You can enable IPP with Mac OS X (Internet Printing Protocol) that is enabled by default, I believe, when you start Printer Sharing.

That opens port 631 I believe, for the service called "ipp".

However, I've never managed to get my printer sharing to work through my router, as I've tried it a few times (you should be able to add the hostname/IP of your home machine as a "printer" in Printer Setup Utility and have it print to the shared printer at home).

Someone else should give you more detailed information, but if you like check google for information on Mac OS X and Internet Printing Protocol.

Back