Printing to Windows XP shared Printer

ncarraway

Registered
Hello,
I have a Samsung ML-1430 printer connected to my Windows XP computer. I am sharing this printer on the network, and can print to it using both of my windows machines.

I can locate this printer (and set it as my default printer) using my MacBook Pro (10.4) Printer Setup Utility. However, whenever I try to print anything, nothing prints! I am sending it to the ML-1430 printer, and the Mac makes it LOOK like its printing (i.e. printing page 1,2,3,4...etc.).

When I open my ML-1420 print window, though, it NEVER shows any job being sent to the printer (no job is ever active). Anyone have any thoughts as to what gives?

Thanks!

I think i may be having a simular problem so i wont start a new thread
I have a windows xp machine sharing a printer which i started off having the NT_ACCESS problem , i have solved that and im now faced with this ....my problem is when i go to print something its says starting job then 5 secs later goes to completed jobs and says job finished but nothing comes out of my printer?

My printer works fine cause i can print straight away from my windows pc

Sorry to hijack the thread help the guy above first
Anyhelp would be great thanks

Are you trying to use the standard Samsung-provided print driver? If so, then this cannot work. You need to use MacOS X's built-in CUPS facility. Download and install Gutenprint 5.0.0. It includes documentation for CUPS. If your model-specific CUPS driver is not included, you may be able to locate it at the Linuxprinting.org website.

Ok thanks will give that a shot....hopefully its straightforward.

Weelittleman described my problem exactly....

Hi,
I installed gutenprint, but I am not sure where to go from there. It looks like i might not be able to get it to work anyway as gutenprint doesn't have drivers for my printer? Neither does the linuxprinting website. ALthough the manufacturer DOES make a linux driver.

If the manufacturer provides a Linux driver, download and install it. And as I wrote in my previous post, documentation for CUPS is included with Gutenprint.

Back