problem copying files bigger than 4 GB

yanni.czelig

Registered
I'm trying to backup two .iso files (5.33GB and 5.05GB respectively)
from my MacbookPro running Leopard 10.5.2 on to a Westgate external USB drive. When I try to do that it gives me "error code 0" and it fails to create a copy or transfer the file.

Is there a limit on how big files can I transfer through the mac? Is there a
way to get around this?

I've tried split, but then how do I concatenate the split files together to get the original? I tried "cat" on .bz2 files and I can't get to replicate the correct original to (when I unzip it the unzipping process stops midway with an error).

I was able to concatenate 2 out of 3 parts of the 5.33GB files and the .iso opens up on diskmount but then when I try to concatenate the 3rd part
it compains that the file is too big. So I'm stuck

"Concat" is not recognized by my Mac.

Any help?

More than likely, your external drive is formatted as FAT32. The FAT32 format has a 4GB file size limitation. There's no way around it.

You can re-format your external drive to the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format, which is more Mac-friendly, and does not have the 4GB file size limit.

"Concat" is not recognized by my Mac.
If you're using the Terminal, the command you're looking for is "cat".

I'm posting this in case someone reads the thread.

Reformatting to a more mac friendly system would be the solution.
Without reformatting the way it worked for me was to connect with
localhost to another computer (on which I connected the external hard drive with the FAT32 file system) on my network and used SFTP, which seems to
be a file transfer protocol with no limit on the size of files sent.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm posting this in case someone reads the thread.

... Without reformatting, the way it worked for me was to connect with localhost to another computer (on which I connected the external hard drive with the FAT32 file system) on my network and used SFTP, which seems to be a file transfer protocol with no limit on the size of files sent.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for posting your solution, yanni.czelig :)

Back