problem installing mac os x (newbie)

kevincad

Registered
hi,i just recently purchased a macbook off of ebay,with no o.s. installed.i had purchased a new copy of mac os x 10.4.6 from the apple store,to reinstall it.when i first turned on the mac it said something like "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key"after reading around on the net awhile,it said to reset the nvram to fix it,so i did.

after that i stuck the install dvd in,held down c, but it wouldnt boot.it just went too this white screen blinking a folder with a question mark in it if i remember right.i was wondering if you can tell me if iam booting it up right,to boot from the cd? i doesnt spit the dvd out,so i guess it should be fine.this is my first time owning a mac,so i really dont know what iam doing.thanks

The 10.4 disks are made for PowerPC machines. Your MacBook is an Intel machine, so those disks will not work. I would just bring the 10.4 disk to the store, along with your MacBook, and explain your situation. They should give you some install/restore disks for free, or at least order them. You can also return the 10.4 disk, as the restore disks have 10.4

wow.i had no idea.lol.guess thats why iam a newbie.:-( so it should boot up fine after i get that straightened out?ill go down there tommorrow and try to get the exchanged.do they sell those on the apple website?thanks

You should wonder what has happened to the install/restore disks that came with that MacBook, which is less than 3 months old.
The MacBook was erased with something, and the former owner may still have the disks.
But, I suppose you bought it 'without any software', which would only restore the MacBook, and probably useless to the old owner now........

No, the current Intel OSX version isn't sold officially. But if you explain your situation, I am sure the Apple store or Apple provide a copy.

To be honest, it somehow stinks that there is no install media. Try asking the seller why this is the case. It could be a stolen machine (worst case). I am just curious and would like to hear the seller's (most likley fishy) answer.

There is no use in selling the Intel OSX install media, because there are no older machines which can be "upgrated" with a "new" Intel OSX version.
New machines come already equipped with the OSX install media, so there is no use in keeping it, either.

your right,ill be contacting them soon.i just figured i could just buy the o.s. and install it myself.(save some money)i bought it for $950.00 and thought i was getting a good deal.guess i should of just stuck with windows,had i known i was gonna run into problems like this.

Come on, Kevin -- sticking with Windows has nothing to do with it. Someone could have sold you a PC laptop on eBay without Windows installed and you'd be spending nearly $200.00 on a copy of Windows that hasn't been seriously updated in years. Would you really be better off?

The fact of the matter is that the seller went over-board when they wiped the HD on the MacBook. They could have simply deleted their user account, created a default one and sent it to you. Furthermore, they should have included the disks or acknowledged the state of the computer within the item's description.

your right,ill be contacting them soon.i just figured i could just buy the o.s. and install it myself.(save some money)i bought it for $950.00 and thought i was getting a good deal.guess i should of just stuck with windows,had i known i was gonna run into problems like this.

As macworks already explained, its not really Apple's or the platform's fault if you buy something used or inclompete. I mean you already have the Macbook. Try asking Apple or the employees at the Apple store and explain your situation.

well,iam getting tired of trying to figure it out.i guess the seller doesnt have the cd for whatever reason.ill call apple one last time,and if that doesnt work,ill just resell it.maybe someone else could have better luck then i did.i guess i should of asked more questions before i made such a big purchase.

Back