Problem installing system on older ibook

KBed

Registered
I had an old 333mhz clamshell in my closet collecting dust when I had a brilliant idea. I would decase it, build the needed components into a wooden frame, install OSX (as it currently has 9.1) and use it as a picture frame/music player. I built it, it looks great (I am a finish carpenter). I didn't install OSX before I de-cased it because the CD ROM drive didn't work so it didn't really matter when I did it. Now, I can't get OSX on there to save my life. I have an external usb CDROM which I am starting up from using either a 10.0.3 install disc or a 10.3.1 install disc, neither of them will boot from the disc. The discs are fine because I can boot from them on my Quicksilver and the CDROM is fine because I can boot from it with an OS 9 disc but when I try either of the two OSX discs I get a type 2 error. I am pulling my hair out here. My plan is to install a base system with only iphoto and itunes installed on the machine but without OSX I can't do anything. I have even removed the HD and hooked to my tower via a USB converter but the F-ing systems discs won't let me install a system on it from the tower because it tells me it is not a suitable startup device. Can anyone be of any assistance? Oh, here is another thing I tried. I downloaded an app called Dasboot which, supposedly, would let me convert a thumbnail drive to a bootable system disc but that has been useless. It won't recognize a single thumbnail I have. Any help would be appreciated.

FYI, there is no firewire on this machine so Target Disc Mode is out.

Firstly, I don't think you can boot a computer as old as that clamshell from an external device, so the solution in that respect is to replace the failed internal optical drive. I'm assuming it has the tray loading CD-ROM. Where you might find a replacement of that type and model of optical drive I cannot say, other than eBay, maybe other Mac forums. You may find this link helpful:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/stats/ibook.html

I was able to boot from the USB CD drive with an OS 9.1 disc, but not with any of the OS X discs that I have. This machine does not have a firewire port. Is my only option to get a new optical drive that I will never use again?

You need to upgrade your 9.1 to 9.2.2 so it will work correctly with your new install of OS X as Classic. Your computer will run OS X VERY slowly, just be prepared for that, since it's an older, slower computer.

According to the stats I have read this machine will run osx. I don't care at all about speed, when I am done it is going to be a picture frame. That is it.

I have downloaded the updates and will give them a try. I am a little skeptical that it will work because I should be able to start up from the CD with an os x disc even when there is no current system installed on the hard drive. I wouldn't think it would make a difference but it may, I will let you know.

According to the stats I have read this machine will run osx. I don't care at all about speed, when I am done it is going to be a picture frame. That is it.

I have downloaded the updates and will give them a try. I am a little skeptical that it will work because I should be able to start up from the CD with an os x disc even when there is no current system installed on the hard drive. I wouldn't think it would make a difference but it may, I will let you know.

You will care about speed if it's so slow as to be unusable on your computer. :)

The CD/DVD drive needs to have the appropriate drivers to read the disc. System 9.2.2 wil help make this possible on your older computer.

I don't remember what is in there, I think it only has a 128 chip. I am going to max it out before I set the whole thing up, I figured that I would have to. That shouldn't prevent me from installing OSx, just running it.

On the contrary, and while this may not apply to the version of OS X you're trying to install, CPU speed and amount of RAM most definitely can prevent you from installing OS X.

The newest Leopard OS X will not install on any computer with a processor slower than 867MHz or under a certain amount of RAM -- the installer will just plain refuse to move forward.

Of course there are ways around limitations such as this, but nothing that is supported by Apple.

With 128 MB, 10.3 should in theory work, but it will be very, very painfully slow. Need more RAM.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2176 -- I would say 256 MB absolute minimum.
And enough space etc.

What colors are those install discs? Black, gray, white, other? Do they list any Mac model on them?

Back