Problem Partitioning Disk!

MaxLax44

Registered
This disk cannot be partitioned becuase verification failed.

Use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

So that's the error message that comes up when I try o partition. How do I fix it in the Disk Utility?

Click on the First Aid tab, select the hard drive, and click on the Repair Disk button, wait for that to finish.
What is the result?

I'm guessing that you are trying to partition your drive through Boot Camp?
Sorry, I thought you had Disk Utility open. So, open Disk Utility (it's in your Utilities folder, same folder as the Boot Camp software), and click on the First Aid tab, Click on your hard drive (in the left column of the Disk Utility window), and click on the Repair Disk button.

Ok, I just did that but I still get the same error message when I try to partition the disk through boot camp assistant.

You missed telling me about a step. One way to repair the booting system hard drive, is to boot to the install/restore DVD, and run the Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
You can't repair the boot drive with Disk Utility on the same disk while you are booted to that disk. How did you run the Repair Disk (and NOT Repair Disk Permissions)? The Repair Disk button would be greyed out, if you are booted to that same disk.
Is this the same 20-inch iMac that you were having Boot Camp problems with a few months ago?
Can you give some details about the problems that you are having now?

You missed telling me about a step. One way to repair the booting system hard drive, is to boot to the install/restore DVD, and run the Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
You can't repair the boot drive with Disk Utility on the same disk while you are booted to that disk. How did you run the Repair Disk (and NOT Repair Disk Permissions)? The Repair Disk button would be greyed out, if you are booted to that same disk.
Is this the same 20-inch iMac that you were having Boot Camp problems with a few months ago?
Can you give some details about the problems that you are having now?

Same 20". Which install disk do I use? Oh, and I did do disk permissions. :(

Use the restore DVD disk 1 (one of those that was in the original box with your iMac - they are grey disks.) Boot to that disk, and you'll see the Disk Utility in the Utilities menu. Once you try the Repair Disk there, you can just restart, you don't need to continue with the reinstall at that point.

Back