Problems connecting sony camcorder to mac

kimsha1000

Registered
Hi

When I connect my Sony Camcorder DCR-HC51 (Mini DV) via my firewire cable to my MacBookPro, the device is not showing up on my desktop, even though my video editing software, i.e. 'iMovie HD' is apparently compatible with the camcorder.

I've switched the laptop it on and off, also the camcorder, tried opening it directly via iMovie and switching the settings on the camcorder to 'play/edit' and 'play', also connecting the camcorder directly to the mains whilst doing all of the above, but to no avail - he device will still not reveal itself. My computer recognises my Canon digital camera as an external device so it can, in theory do this.

The firewire lead is brand new, but when I tested it on 2 other Mac computers with the camcorder, none of them revealed the device on their respective desktops.

Could anyone please help me out with this? It is driving me nuts!

Thanks
Kim

Your video recorder will not appear on your desktop, because it's not an external drive (like other hard drives).

You need to use iMovie or Final Cut Express/Pro (or some other video "capture" software) to import and edit your videos.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have iMovie HD on my Mac (think it comes as standard now?) and tried to import the video, but it didn't work. Do you know what I might be doing wrong, or how I can fix this?

Thanks
Kim

It's tough to tell with what little information we have.

What version of Mac OS X are you using, and what version of iMovie are you using?

What error messages do you get when you try and import video using iMovie?

i'm using mac osx version 10.4.11 and iMovie HD 6.0.3 (267.2)

i don't get any error messages; when i try to import video using iMovie, it cannot find the external device. that is the problem really.

Hi there,
I'm having the same problem. I have a DCR-HC42 model, does that make any difference? When I plug it in and try to capture it through iMovie NOTHING comes up as an external hard drive to import : \

SAME ISSUES: I have a DCR HC52 model with iMovie 09, having same issue (not even recognized by macbook pro)with 4 to 9 pin firewire. Anyone come up with any suggestions?

I have a MacBook Pro 13' - 2011 with OSX Lion. I am trying to connect a Sony DCR HC42. iMovie 11 does not show it at the capturing options. It is connected with a firewirw cable (9/4 pins) I believe there will be some other compatible software. I would aprecciate having some informations about it. Thanks!

Hi, I have a MACBOOKPRO 17" with OS LION and I cannot find any way to import a video from my camcorder Canon MV850i. iMovie simply does not recognize any device as being attached to import from.
Rgds
Sculler

I seems that we will have to adopt another cam or use a... PC!! [At least to capture/convert] If we keep on trying use our Macs to do some video tasks of our own production. Bad issue for us. And a big SHAME to the providers, camcorder factories and Apple too.

Hi, I have a MACBOOKPRO 17" with OS LION and I cannot find any way to import a video from my camcorder Canon MV850i. iMovie simply does not recognize any device as being attached to import from.
Rgds
Sculler
You have the Canon ZR300 MV850i, a 2005-era miniDV camcorder. This rig features FireWire and an SD card slot. How you are trying to connect it to your Mac?

In my case (Sony DCR HC42) The iMovie 11 Help page at Apple site does not lists it as a compatible machine. That's why I am looking for another software to try to connect because I think the cable is OK: A firewire one 9 pins (Mac) to a 4 pins (camcorder). I really would appreciate any ingo you have to share.

Tks!

In my case (Sony DCR HC42) The iMovie 11 Help page at Apple site does not lists it as a compatible machine. That's why I am looking for another software to try to connect because I think the cable is OK: A firewire one 9 pins (Mac) to a 4 pins (camcorder). I really would appreciate any ingo you have to share.

Tks!
It is simply not true that iMovie '11's webpage does not list the Sony DCR-HC42 as a compatible machine. This rig features FireWire. iMove '11 supports FireWire. If your camcorder did not have FireWire connectivity, then you would have to check Apple's compatibility list. It is not necessary to list FireWire-compatible camcorders individually.

Thanks for your kind return. I think I was not accurate at my writings: what I meant was that the help page of iMovie 11 at Apple site does not have my machine listed as compatible with iMovie11 (not the firewire connection - that I tink it's OK). I searched all the SONY camcorders and the site listed many where we cannot find my machine. If I am doing this search wrong (possible, of course) I would like you to help me. Despite all my sayings here it is possible too that exists a possible problem at my machine connection, indeed.Thanks in advance.

... I think I was not accurate at my writings: what I meant was that the help page of iMovie 11 at Apple site does not have my machine listed as compatible with iMovie11 (not the firewire connection - that I tink it's OK). I searched all the SONY camcorders and the site listed many where we cannot find my machine. ...
I understood your question perfectly and responded that way. The iMovie compatibility list is for non-FireWire camcorders. With rare exception, FireWire camcorders are compatible. As I said in my previous post, it is not necessary to list each compatible FireWire camcorder. Such a list would include nearly every FireWire camcorder ever made. Non-FireWire camcorders are compatible only on a case-by-case basis. This is why Apple has a list of compatible non-FireWire camcorders.

Back