Problems making CD of iTMS d.l'ed music

Browni

Registered
My first and possibly last purchase from the iTMS, Keen, Hopes and Fears.

Bought it fine its in my library at the moment with no problem.

I would like to make a CD so that i can play it my dads car and on my Personal Stereo. But when i got to burn the CD, i get a error, 'None of these items can be burned to disk". I was under the impression that once you had bought the album you 'owned' it, and therefore you could burn it to CD as much as you like.

I am very annoyed at this. It is not what I thought i was getting :mad:

Adam

Hmm... you're not trying to make an MP3 CD, are you? Because you can't do that with AAC files -- only MP3 files obviously, as the name implies.

If you select "Audio CD" in iTunes preferences, it should work fine.

Also, you cannot burn a playlist of purchased music as many times as you want -- there's a limit, and I believe it's 7 times before you need to delete the playlist and make another one. It's to keep people from purchasing an album for $10, then burning hundreds of copies and selling them at a profit.

In addition, you also do not "own" the album at all. Even before online music stores, when you purchased a CD, you did not own the content whatsoever -- otherwise, ripping a CD and distributing it on a P2P network would be legal, well, because you "owned" the music (which you do not).

Fuzzy areas, I agree, but that's the rules. Bottom line: change the burning method to "Audio CD" in the preferences and you should be fine.

I thought the number of burns for audio cds was limited too. Have you made many copies of certain songs in the playlist your using?

El Diablo is correct, and sorry to say Snark, but you won't be going on to Final Jeopardy. :D You can burn any particular song as many times as you'd like, but you will need to change the playlist after so many times (I thought it was 10 not 7 but I'm not sure).

well i changed the data type to audio and it worked, as i will be buying an ipod mini in the next few days making multi-able copies may not be a problem, but thanks for the info.

Glad to hear that worked, Browni...

Randman: I believe it's 7 playlist burns now, and you can have the music on up to 5 different machines (it used to be 10 burns, 3 machines, but it changed recently).

Back