problems with CLI apps after upgrading to 10.2

brody

Registered
I recently finally upgraded to 10.2 and then installed the combined update to 10.2.3 and found that none of my CLI apps work anymore such as pine, lynx, bitchx, wget, ect... and the /configure command doest work. Does anyone know whats up with this? Do i need to reinstall these apps?
Thanks

Did you rebuild the apps after you installed 10.2? When I installed 10.2 (using the backup/install method provided by the installer) I had this problem because the installer didn't save any of my unix land stuff. I still had all the tarballs so I just when into each and did a 'make clean' and then the usual ./configure; make; make install process

No, i didnt use the backup method or save the original tarballs :rolleyes: , i was also still using the older dev tools. I'm guessing my only option is to reinstall allot of stuff huh?

Are you using tcsh as your shell? If so, Apple hobbled the default configuration in 10.2. To restore it to the previous usable 10.1.x defaults, do this:
sudo -s
echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/rc" >> /etc/csh.cshrc
echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/login" >> /etc/csh.login
echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/logout" >> /etc/csh.logout
exit

This will get back your "missing" programs like wget as well by fixing your PATH.

Didnt seem to work, this is what i got
[brody:~] brody% sudo -s
Password:
[brody:~] root# echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/rc" >> /etc/csh.cshrc
[brody:~] root# echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/login" >> /etc/csh.login
[brody:~] root# echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/logout" >> /etc/csh.logout
[brody:~] root# exit
exit
[brody:~] brody% BitchX
BitchX: Command not found.
[brody:~] brody% ./BitchX
./BitchX: Command not found.
[brody:~] brody% wget
wget: Command not found.
[brody:~] brody% pine
dyld: pine Undefined symbols:
_tgetent
_tgetflag
_tgetnum
_tgetstr
_tgoto
_tputs
Trace/BPT trap
[brody:~] brody%

Use "echo $path" and "echo $PATH" to see what your execution paths look like. If you need more directories added to your paths you should create this file:

~/Library/init/tcsh/login.mine

And in this file add the new items to your path. Here's what mine looks like:

set path=($path /Developer/Tools /usr/local/mysql/bin .)

The last item means "search the current directory" which is sometimes useful.

You may also want to create these files:

~/Library/init/tcsh/aliases.mine
~/Library/init/tcsh/environment.mine

Set your aliases in aliases.mine and your environment variables in environment.mine.

For environment settings that apply to your desktop session (i.e., all GUI-based applications) you should create the file...

~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

...and populate it with key-string pairs for the environment variables you want. For more about this see Apple's page on the subject:

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html

Well, BitchX and wget now work, but some things like pine and lynx still dont. I
get this..
[brody:~] brody% pine
dyld: pine Undefined symbols:
_tgetent
_tgetflag
_tgetnum
_tgetstr
_tgoto
_tputs
Trace/BPT trap

[brody:~] brody% lynx
dyld: lynx Undefined symbols:
_COLS
_LINES
_curscr

I do have the latest dev tools installed. And when i run 'echo $PATH' i get
[brody:~] brody% echo $path
/Users/brody/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin /Users/brody/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/bin /bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/sbin /sbin

?
I do thank you all for all the help especially around xmas (merry christmas by the way).

You may have to recompile the apps with undefined symbols using the new GCC version. Otherwise, do some hunting on the web and find a Mac OS X installer package of pine and lynx and reinstall them.

Alternatively, fink 0.5a works with Jaguar and has the packages you want:
fink install lynx-ssl
fink install pine-ssl

a problem with recompiling these is the fact that the ./configure command still wont work
[brody:~] brody% ./configure
./configure: Command not found.
[brody:~] brody%

...im starting to regret the 10.2 uprade (if you can call it that)

I dont know if this isconnected, but when i try to login as root i also get this error
Last login: Mon Dec 23 18:01:36 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
TERM_PROGRAM: Undefined variable.
tcsh: Cannot open /etc/termcap.
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.

Back