Problems with iMovie and iPhoto

victa

Registered
Hi,
My partner has an emac running os x.
It has iMovie 4.
She recently purchased a Sony DVD handycam.

The only way we can view the DVD clips is by finalising the disk and viewing it in iDVD. The mac just doesn't want to know about the camera ( no luck getting clips to view though photos ok ).

The image mixer 1.5 software supplied only supports windows.
I have installed it on my PC and I have the two machines networked.
So I can get the clips off without finalising and send them to the mac.

We would like to edit the clips in iMovie but when we try to import them they are not recognised.
The clips are saved as mpeg2 and play in windows media player and winamp on my pc.
But won't play in Quicktime although shows QTime logo.
Seems strange such a common vid format is not recognised.
How do I fix this?

One other strange thing is the photos print from iPhoto in mirror image.?!?!?
Yet the very same photos sent from my PC to the mac then the printer come out right way round?!?!

Any ideas?

By the way yes I am a PC user ( booo hisss ).
I really love the eMac and am learning more and more every day about it ( still try to right click everything :) ).
Found it incredibly easy to network with my PC. It was on the windows side I had most difficulty ( of course you will say ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my partner is gutted that her flash toys won't go the way she intended.

I am not sure exactly what you are doing. I am not familiar with the Sony DVD cam but have used sony dv cams with iMovie.
You put the camcorder in vcr mode.
Hook the camera to the mac with firewire.
Start iMovie select connect to camera from the main screen. Click play in iMovie to start the camera and press capture or import on iMovie to store the footage to the mac. I know that most Sony camcorders are compatible. It must be a DV stream for iMove to recognize it. I am not sure where you are getting mpeg from.

Calliex

Back