Problems with Msn Messenger on Mac OSX, Belkin 54g

andyg2412

Registered
Hi,

having a bit of trouble working messenger! Using Mac OSX on my macbook with a belkin 54g wireless router..

No messenger programs work (tried mercury, amsn, messenger for mac etc.)
However have been able to connect on other wireless routers..

But on my own router i get the same message 'sign in failed because the service may be unavailiable or you are not connected to the internet'

although im writing this post now so i blatently am connected!!

any suggestions? any help reaaaly appriciated :)

Sounds like you may have to open ports for instant messaging.

hxxp://www.electrictoolbox.com/article/networking/open-firewall-msn-icq/ may help but the instructions are for opening ports on another type of router. You should be able to work it out though

hmm that didnt work! note i have got a windows computer plugged into the belkin and that runs messenger fine!

ps i have even turned the firewalls off and still nothing

cheers anyway

If you have Mac OS X's firewall enabled, make sure that you're opening the necessary ports in that firewall as well.

The other option is to try an alternate MSN client, like Adium or aMSN.

yeh ive tried adium etc and they work when i connect to other wireless networks so its not the mac's firewall!

pretty weird i dont really know whats going on tbh lol

Its just got to be your belkins ports then. The Mac version of msn must use different ports to the windows version. And if you can use Iming on different networks then its got to be the belkins fault.

yeh i thought it might be mac messenger needs different ports open to the windows version, it has a preset ports opener thing for messenger on windowds on the belkin setup and that doesnt work!

anyone know the mac messenger specific ports that need to be opened? cheers for all your help so far!

I had the same problem on my iMAC intel. I found ADIUM to be a super nice messenger which works fine. It is free and worth supporting.

http://www.adiumx.com/

You never go back to yahoo or MS Messenger !

Hi,

having a bit of trouble working messenger! Using Mac OSX on my macbook with a belkin 54g wireless router..

No messenger programs work (tried mercury, amsn, messenger for mac etc.)
However have been able to connect on other wireless routers..

But on my own router i get the same message 'sign in failed because the service may be unavailiable or you are not connected to the internet'

although im writing this post now so i blatently am connected!!

any suggestions? any help reaaaly appriciated :)

I have exactly the same issue - also with a belikin router. All ports are open on the router. When I boot into Windows, Messenger works fine but when the same PC is running OSX Mac:messenger can't connect. Firewall on OSX is disabled. If I connect the Mac to another router it works fine. Looks like some strange bug between Belikin routers, OSX and Messenger !

Back