Problems with Samba 2.2.1a

ebm

Registered
Hi all, sorry for my english but i'm spanish

I have downloaded, expanded and installed the latest samba (from www.samba.org).

gnutar -xvzf samba . . .
cd (to the new samba directory created in the last step)
cd source
./configure
make
make install

Create smb.conf file and put it in /usr/local/samba/lib/ directory.

Create startsmb file and make it executable with chmod +x startsmb, put it anyware.

When i run startsmb file and check it in Proccess Viewer, the smbd and nmbd daemons are working owned by root. But i cannot connect to my machine from a Nt Server 4. Is samba only server and not client? What is wrong?

smbd.conf (file):
[global]
workgroup = no

[homes]
guest ok = no
read only = no

startsmb (file):
/bin/sh
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D

Thanks to all people for reading this and to try to help me
Best regards,
Eduardo
comfot@ctv.es

rharder

Do not read this sign.
I'm not certain, but if there's a problem with your config file, you might have better luck using swat, a web-based admin tool that comes with samba.

From your web browser, try http://127.0.0.1:901

See if that works.

You'll need your root password.

-Rob

jcpowers21

Registered
In the /Applications/Utilities/ folder their is a network tools app ( I'm not sure if that is the right name) but you can use that to portscan your computer for the Samba port.

ebm

Registered
I have and app in Applications/Utilities. Is named Network Utility but i dont understand how to portscan my computer for Samba.

I have some questions:

Samba is only a server or is client too (i can connect from my samba computer to a NT Server and from NT Server to my samba computer?)

How samba works only in terminal or also i can connect within the gui (aqua interface).

In terminal smbclient -U (user name) -L (host) does not work.

I want connect to //TAIPAN/DiscoPC

I have different subnet mask and i think this is part of the problem in Server i have 255.255.255.0 and in Samba computer i have 255.255.0.0. But i don't know is repairing this can solve my problem and connect to NT Server and how (in Terminal or in Acqua (gui))

Thanks

Straylight23

Registered
Originally posted by ebm
Samba is only a server or is client too?
Only Server. SambaFS is not part of the MacOSX-kernel right now. It will be supported in MacOSX 10.1

In terminal smbclient -U (user name) -L (host) does not work
That is because Samba is NO client

I want connect to //TAIPAN/DiscoPC
Not possible. Without any 3rd-party tool.
Try i.e. Sanity (commercial :mad)

But, why don't you try the samba Package for MacOS X? Installes and works fine :)

use this Link To download it.

HTH

cu:Stray

finnboo

Registered
After installing the samba package for MacOS X (<a href="http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xamba/Samba_X_2.2.1a.sit">here</a>) you should be able to connect thus:

smbclient //TAIPAN/DiscoPC -U (username)

However, as far as I know you can not mount samba drives with this samba package, i.e. there is no smbmount command. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

--finnboo

Straylight23

Registered
Originally posted by finnboo
After installing the samba package for MacOS X (<a href="http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xamba/Samba_X_2.2.1a.sit">here</a>) you should be able to connect thus:

smbclient //TAIPAN/DiscoPC -U (username)

Where //TAIPAN is the server and DiscoPC is the Service (i.e. a share).

The following is a cite from the man pages:

<pre>
DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the Sambasuite.

smbclient is a client that can 'talk' to an SMB/CIFS
server. It offers an interface similar to that of the ftp
program (see ftp(1)). Operations include things like get-
ting files from the server to the local machine, putting
files from the local machine to the server, retrieving
directory information from the server and so on.

</pre>

The followin command woul give you a list of all available services on a specific client:

smbclient -U username -L servername

(Servername can be either ip-address or netbios-name)

However, as far as I know you can not mount samba drives with this samba package, i.e. there is no smbmount command. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.
You are not wrong, but it might be worth to know why there is no smbmount command.
In all Linux-versions (and BSD i think) since Kernel 1.something the smb-filesystem is compiled into the kernel. The Mach-kernel used in MacOSX doesn't have this. Hence, no smbmount.
The MacOSX 10.1 v5G15 has a command "mount_smbf", but kernel-implimetation is not ready. The mount fails with the following error:

<pre>
mount_smbfs: unable to get kernel task port: (os/kern) failure
</pre>

Still, i'm confident Apple will fix that by the time the final of MacOSX 10.1 is released.

HTH

cu:Stray