Problems with Samba 2.2.1a

ebm

Registered
Hi all, sorry for my english but i'm spanish

I have downloaded, expanded and installed the latest samba (from www.samba.org).

gnutar -xvzf samba . . .
cd (to the new samba directory created in the last step)
cd source
./configure
make
make install

Create smb.conf file and put it in /usr/local/samba/lib/ directory.

Create startsmb file and make it executable with chmod +x startsmb, put it anyware.

When i run startsmb file and check it in Proccess Viewer, the smbd and nmbd daemons are working owned by root. But i cannot connect to my machine from a Nt Server 4. Is samba only server and not client? What is wrong?

smbd.conf (file):
[global]
workgroup = no

[homes]
guest ok = no
read only = no

startsmb (file):
/bin/sh
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D

Thanks to all people for reading this and to try to help me
Best regards,
Eduardo
comfot@ctv.es

I'm not certain, but if there's a problem with your config file, you might have better luck using swat, a web-based admin tool that comes with samba.

From your web browser, try http://127.0.0.1:901

See if that works.

You'll need your root password.

-Rob

In the /Applications/Utilities/ folder their is a network tools app ( I'm not sure if that is the right name) but you can use that to portscan your computer for the Samba port.

I have and app in Applications/Utilities. Is named Network Utility but i dont understand how to portscan my computer for Samba.

I have some questions:

Samba is only a server or is client too (i can connect from my samba computer to a NT Server and from NT Server to my samba computer?)

How samba works only in terminal or also i can connect within the gui (aqua interface).

In terminal smbclient -U (user name) -L (host) does not work.

I want connect to //TAIPAN/DiscoPC

I have different subnet mask and i think this is part of the problem in Server i have 255.255.255.0 and in Samba computer i have 255.255.0.0. But i don't know is repairing this can solve my problem and connect to NT Server and how (in Terminal or in Acqua (gui))

Thanks

Originally posted by ebm
Samba is only a server or is client too?

Only Server. SambaFS is not part of the MacOSX-kernel right now. It will be supported in MacOSX 10.1

In terminal smbclient -U (user name) -L (host) does not work

That is because Samba is NO client

I want connect to //TAIPAN/DiscoPC

Not possible. Without any 3rd-party tool.
Try i.e. Sanity (commercial :mad)

But, why don't you try the samba Package for MacOS X? Installes and works fine :)

use this Link To download it.

HTH

cu:Stray

After installing the samba package for MacOS X (<a href="http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xamba/Samba_X_2.2.1a.sit">here</a>) you should be able to connect thus:

smbclient //TAIPAN/DiscoPC -U (username)

However, as far as I know you can not mount samba drives with this samba package, i.e. there is no smbmount command. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

--finnboo

Originally posted by finnboo
After installing the samba package for MacOS X (<a href="http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xamba/Samba_X_2.2.1a.sit">here</a>) you should be able to connect thus:

smbclient //TAIPAN/DiscoPC -U (username)

Where //TAIPAN is the server and DiscoPC is the Service (i.e. a share).

The following is a cite from the man pages:

<pre>
DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the Sambasuite.

smbclient is a client that can 'talk' to an SMB/CIFS
server. It offers an interface similar to that of the ftp
program (see ftp(1)). Operations include things like get-
ting files from the server to the local machine, putting
files from the local machine to the server, retrieving
directory information from the server and so on.

</pre>

The followin command woul give you a list of all available services on a specific client:

smbclient -U username -L servername

(Servername can be either ip-address or netbios-name)

However, as far as I know you can not mount samba drives with this samba package, i.e. there is no smbmount command. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

You are not wrong, but it might be worth to know why there is no smbmount command.
In all Linux-versions (and BSD i think) since Kernel 1.something the smb-filesystem is compiled into the kernel. The Mach-kernel used in MacOSX doesn't have this. Hence, no smbmount.
The MacOSX 10.1 v5G15 has a command "mount_smbf", but kernel-implimetation is not ready. The mount fails with the following error:

<pre>
mount_smbfs: unable to get kernel task port: (os/kern) failure
</pre>

Still, i'm confident Apple will fix that by the time the final of MacOSX 10.1 is released.

HTH

cu:Stray

Back