Problems...

martinatkinson

Registered
Hi,

I have an old IIcx that I left some important information on, so I am trying to get stuff off that hard drive and onto my new computer.

Problem is that whenever I start the dinosour up, it shuts down suddenly after a few minutes. I think this may be a bad power supply???

Anyway, is there a way that I could take out the hard drive from the IIcx and hook it inside my PowerMac 8500 or G4?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Albert

This is probably a SCSI drive... you will need a SCSI driver, is the 8500 SCSI ? If this is the case, then you should be able to plug it.

You won't get this to work in your G4, unless there is a SCSI card installed, but the 8500 will certainly work, and there should be an unused data cable inside, and an open drive bay, just look for both a data cable and power connector. be sure to change the SCSI device number to something other than zero if you are going to try it in the 8500. Each SCSI device must have a unique device number, and your 8500 probably won't boot if 2 SCSI devices are set to the same device. If you look at the old drive, you should find a set of jumper pairs, probably label A0,A1,A2 (might be slightly different, but should have a letter and number (0,1,2 or 1,2,3) put a jumper on the center one, should be safe if no other SCSI devices like scanners are present) good luck

Originally posted by DeltaMac
You won't get this to work in your G4, unless there is a SCSI card installed, but the 8500 will certainly work, and there should be an unused data cable inside, and an open drive bay, just look for both a data cable and power connector. be sure to change the SCSI device number to something other than zero if you are going to try it in the 8500. Each SCSI device must have a unique device number, and your 8500 probably won't boot if 2 SCSI devices are set to the same device. If you look at the old drive, you should find a set of jumper pairs, probably label A0,A1,A2 (might be slightly different, but should have a letter and number (0,1,2 or 1,2,3) put a jumper on the center one, should be safe if no other SCSI devices like scanners are present) good luck

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I took the drive out of the IIcx and took a look at the jumpers. It looks like there are 5 rows instead of just three. Could you let me know which to put it on? I have attached a picture for you with the jumper pins circled in green.

I have two SCSI external hard drives with ids 4 and 5 (my system folder is on one) and I have a SCSI Zip drive with id 6. I tried just inserting the drive how it was (with no jumpers) but my computer would not start up, it just hung on the grey screen before the happy mac.

Also, I think the IIcx drive has system 6 installed on it, will my mac still boot up from my external drive with system 9?

Thanks again for all your help!

Albert

Attachments

• dcp_0183.jpg
    dcp_0183.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 10
Darn, that picture turned out like crap...here, I have attached a better one.

Sorry :rolleyes:

Albert

Attachments

• dirve3.jpg
    dirve3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 12
You're gonna have to find a jumper somewhere to put on it. Err, and do you need to worry about termination with an internal SCSI drive? I can't remember, it's been too long. :D

Originally posted by Darkshadow
You're gonna have to find a jumper somewhere to put on it.

Yeah, I got a jumper (i think) I just need to know where to put it on the jumper pins:

Code:
a b c d e
. . . . .
. . . . .

Which pin (a-e) do I need to put the jumper on?

Thanks!

Albert

You said it shuts down after a few minutes. Does this mean a few minutes after you push the power button (meaning it crashes soon after finishing booting), or a few minutes after it finishes booting, giving you some leeway? If the latter is the case, connect a Zip drive, floppy drive, whatever and rescue your file(s) before it goes out. If the first is the case, you'll have to mess with the jumpers.

Also, are you sure it's a bad power supply? Could it be a bad power cord (change it with the one for your 8500, retrieve your file(s), and change it back)? Could you have an April Fools Applescript in your startup items that shuts down your computer (hold space at a startup, disable it)? Can you repair or replace the power supply, at least temporarily, to get it working?

The 3 red strips that are right behind the data connector are actually terminator resistor packs. See, one corner of your green circle touches one of them in your picture. They can be pulled straight out (second HD cannot have these resistors installed) The circled pins, unfortunately, are probably not device selection pins, you'll have to pull the metal bracket completly off to find them, They will be a set of THREE pairs, not FIVE, either labeled A0,A1 & A2 or E1,E2 & E3. I could be wrong here, but you have to examine the entire drive board carefully for this set of 3 pairs. Once found, there will be no jumpers, so drive number is set for zero. You want to put just one jumper in place on the middle pair, which should make it device #2, that'll work

Originally posted by DeltaMac
The 3 red strips that are right behind the data connector are actually terminator resistor packs. See, one corner of your green circle touches one of them in your picture. They can be pulled straight out (second HD cannot have these resistors installed) The circled pins, unfortunately, are probably not device selection pins, you'll have to pull the metal bracket completly off to find them, They will be a set of THREE pairs, not FIVE, either labeled A0,A1 & A2 or E1,E2 & E3. I could be wrong here, but you have to examine the entire drive board carefully for this set of 3 pairs. Once found, there will be no jumpers, so drive number is set for zero. You want to put just one jumper in place on the middle pair, which should make it device #2, that'll work

I still can not seem to find the three pair device selection pins. I pulled out the red things and the 8500 still hangs on the grey screen. I have attached a pict of the drive with the sleeve pulled off. Any suggestions? :(

Thanks!

Albert

Attachments

• drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1
Originally posted by arden
You said it shuts down after a few minutes. Does this mean a few minutes after you push the power button (meaning it crashes soon after finishing booting), or a few minutes after it finishes booting, giving you some leeway? If the latter is the case, connect a Zip drive, floppy drive, whatever and rescue your file(s) before it goes out. If the first is the case, you'll have to mess with the jumpers.

After I press the power button it chimes and the little green light turns on. Then, after about <10 seconds it shuts itself off. However, if I leave it on overnight it may stay on long enough to load the extensions but shuts off if I try to do anything such as copy files.

Originally posted by arden
Also, are you sure it's a bad power supply? Could it be a bad power cord (change it with the one for your 8500, retrieve your file(s), and change it back)? Could you have an April Fools Applescript in your startup items that shuts down your computer (hold space at a startup, disable it)? Can you repair or replace the power supply, at least temporarily, to get it working?

I do not know for sure if it is a bad power supply or not. It is not a bad power cord as I have tried a couple different ones. It is not an AppleScript because it does not start up enough to load the AppleScript.

Any suggestions would help

Albert

Back