Process 'Inkjet' has high VSIZE

ora

Registered
In Activity monitor I have a process called 'Inkjet', a child process of cupsd that shows over 2gb in VSIZE.

Now my Activity Monitor mastery is somewhat limited, but I take it VSIZE is the amount of virtual memory a process uses.

I have an A3 photo printer to which I print pretty large files out of Aperture, and I wondered if this a cache of some sort, but I killed the process experimentally then restarted and its still the same size. I guess this means not cache.

Can someone else on 10.5.5 have a look and see if they have a similar reading? Or anyone else know if this is normal or not?

Cheers!

That is not right and it is not on either of my Macs printing to two different Canon printers.

Download the application Print Therapy (it has a 7 day trial) and run all the fix & CUPS tools (make sure CUPS is Running). This should fix the problem.

Reactions: ora
Thanks satcomer! As ever extremely helpful.

Interesting, I downloaded Print therapy, and deleted the temp and spool files, at which point i spotted a second instance of Inkjet in Activity Monitor, each using 85-95% cpu, both with massive VSIZES. I then reset the cupsd.config file and restarted, and on boot AM briefly showed one instance of Inkjet running 65ish % cpu and over 2gb VSIZE, though it then calmed down. It did still use 2.06gb VSIZE though.

Then I entirely reset the print system (after backing it up), and on restart Inkjet has now entirely disappeared. Just a cups error I guess, though some googling revealed no one else with the same issue. Is it me or is cups causing a lot of errors these days?

Well 10.5.5 stop CUPS for me. So I used the Print Therapy program to restart it. I am not sure if CUPS was the issue but the program has fixed a lot of errors for me, that is way I always suggest it.

Back