Processor is maxed out.. yet nothing's using it

cidion

Supervised Member of life
I have a CPU monitor running all the time...(well most of the time)

I have noticed that after a while...it maxes out at 100%

I used process viewer, and it has JAVA listed as using a huge chunk of CPU.

anyone know why?

tanks of thanks

Do you have Internet Explorer open? Or any web browser? Perhaps your web browser has a page loaded that uses Java, and the Java Machine (or whatever it's called) has been started on your computer -- Java tends to slow stuff down a bit on my machine.

This seems to be the problem

[localhost:~] cidion% ps wwax | grep -i java
345 ?? S 281:37.92 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/java -Xmx42m -Xms3m -classpath /Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/ant.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/hsqldb.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/jakarta-oro-2.0.2-dev-2.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/jasper.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/jaxp.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/localbrain.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/log4j.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/parser.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/servlet.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/webserver.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/xalan.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/xerces.jar:/Applications/Six Degrees.app/Contents/Support/LocalBrain/lib/xmlrpc.jar
1438 std S+ 0:00.00 grep -i java

No...I didn't mean to.

I saw a download on apple's OS X website called Six Degrees.

it said it was cool, so I DL it, but it wasn't really very interesting.

but I didn't delete it.

I just left it there. Since removing it from the startup (login)...the processor hogging has stopped.

= ) silly proggram...thinks it's cool. but it's not.

Back