Proper way to uninstall ?

Swashbuckler

Registered
When I have wanted to remove something that has been installed, I just drag it to the trash. This works fine, but I think there may be a more "proper" way to uninstall software. I'm very new to Mac, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris :confused:

Nope, you got it right the first time! ;)

There are some programs, like Norton AntiVirus (although I do not recommend running Norton AV), that should be uninstalled using the provided uninstaller because programs like that install files into the system in deep levels, making simply dragging it to the trash to uninstall impractival. These programs are few and far between, though.

Is it really true that this doesn't leave various files behind...As an ex-windows user you've got to realise that a clean drag and drop uninstall is hard to believe,

Will.

Chances are it will leave behind preference files (found in library-> preferences) but these are usually very small files anywhere from 4kb to 100kb and dont really take up much space at all.

If you do want to get rid of these (as quite a few people do), then do a search in finder for the preference files for the particular program you have trashed and drag them to trash aswell.

spotlight search along the lines of

photoshop .plist

then trash it.

there are usually two of these files, or sometimes just one. these should be the only other files on your mac associated with the application. it's usually fine to leave them though.

Back