Protecting the data on my computer from iSync

gwynarion

I stole the Sun
I'm using iSync with Panther and a Nokia 3650. When I sync Address Book between my computer and phone, the phone sometimes changes what is on my computer. I absolutely do not want this to happen. Is there any kind of setting I can change in iSync (or Bluetooth or my phone) that will prevent this from happening? Thanks.

There should be an option if you click on the device to change what exactly syncs and whice device actually syncs to the other device. I don't have a phone to check it with, but in .Mac, you can tell iSync to delete what's on .mac and copy over the new data, or to merge the two datas on both the computer and .mac, and to erase what's on the computer and sync what's on .mac.

Open the iSync application, click on the icon for your phone and make sure "Turn on ____ synchronization" is not checked. There you go. No more iSync-ing between your Mac and phone.

The whole purpose of Syncronisation is that any changes made on either device get's applied, so if you're on the road and someone gives you a different phonenumber, you can add it to your phone and when you sync, the new number updates on your computer... It's a two-way transfer.

If you Do want to only Sync one way, you'll have to select Reset All Devices... from the Devices Menu. This will completely overwrite all entries in your phone with the entries in your computer. It will also reset the logs of changes so any new changes will be applied next time you sync.

If your Data is getting corrupted when you Sync, there must be Bug in iSync. Report it to Apple using Provide iSync Feedback from the iSync Menu.

Back