PSP vs iPod

Quicksilver

Find a golden apple.
I im interested to see what Apple has planned to blow away this PSP phenomena. I believe the PSP WILL steal iPod's Halo effect unless apple has somthing big ready to roll out.

PSP Teaser - For those who need to see the PSP

The only thing that iPod has over the PSP is a hard drive and iTMS. But the PSP has so much more over the iPod somthings that many people by the droves will see very clearly.

CONVERGENCE! DON'T U LOVE IT.

The PSP is a gaming console. The iPod is a portable music player. That are two different things, no one is stealing the Halo effect of each other.

HomunQlus said:
The PSP is a gaming console. The iPod is a portable music player. That are two different things, no one is stealing the Halo effect of each other.

Your Right the PSP is just for games yea, they have the MP3 player and video playback, but big deal. The screen sucks in the daylight and is waaay to easily scratched up, run your finger nail over it lightly and it will scratch up, no on the iPod though...

It's over priced along with the games, just like the PS3 and Xbox 360, for the price that the companies want they can keep them.

The console has no hard drive or flash drive, other than the iPod which is designed to hold masses of music, while the PSP is for games only.

Yes, it can play music, from a mini disc or a memory chip, but not from an hard drive.

The display of the PSP seems quite ok.

The console (PSP) will have an estimated cost of of €254.99 when it launches. This is quite ok for what you get. The 3D graphics are stunning on that console. Look at screens of GTA Liberty City Stories if you don't believe me.

The other consoles are not overpriced. PS3's initial price is not known yet, however, please remember that that console is run by Cell processors, sporting up to 3.0 GHz with a PPC CPU. This is currently faster as any PC or PowerPC in the market. That's a gaming console I might add.

My son and daughter got PSPs. They always listen to music and play games. Whats point to have ipod? Even they can watch movie. Its so much thing to tell.

HomunQlus said:
The other consoles are not overpriced. PS3's initial price is not known yet, however, please remember that that console is run by Cell processors, sporting up to 3.0 GHz with a PPC CPU. This is currently faster as any PC or PowerPC in the market. That's a gaming console I might add.

PS3 is going to sell for $399
Xbox 360 is going to sell for $360

all prices are american dollars...too much for my blood, i'll wait till they come down in price.

They are different things. PSPs aren't going to appeal to anyone who doesn't like games, and that's a lot of people.

I'm looking for a device now, PSP doesn't even figure in my equation, if I don't get an iPod, I'll get a media player for movies and stuff.

Quicksilver said:
I im interested to see what Apple has planned to blow away this PSP phenomena. I believe the PSP WILL steal iPod's Halo effect unless apple has somthing big ready to roll out.

PSP Teaser - For those who need to see the PSP

The only thing that iPod has over the PSP is a hard drive and iTMS. But the PSP has so much more over the iPod somthings that many people by the droves will see very clearly.

CONVERGENCE! DON'T U LOVE IT.

It's already been stated that the PSP is a media portable (games handheld, movies, etc).

Now, do you play guitar? If you ever buy effects pedals, you can get two major types; the all-in-one pedals, or a combination of single pedals. The all-in-one pedal seems appealing, and is good, but doesn't offer that much control over the individual effects as the singular pedals do. Of course, it is much cheaper than buying all the singular pedals, but you don't get that much control. This is the PSP. It has many things, but not as good control as having an actual music player, an actual movie player, and so on.

"The only thing that iPod has over the PSP is a hard drive and iTMS. But the PSP has so much more over the iPod somthings that many people by the droves will see very clearly."

That is an unfair comment to both the PSP and the iPod. The iPod has more than just a HD and iTMS over the PSP. It has better portability (my PSP... pah...), better music selection, and better settings for music (i.e. EQ). But then again, you can't just say the PSP has 'so much more over the iPod' because they're two different things. It's like getting a car from the 1940's and putting it in a NASCAR race, expecting it to be just as good as the other cars.

My 2 cents.

fjdouse said:
They are different things. PSPs aren't going to appeal to anyone who doesn't like games, and that's a lot of people.

I'm looking for a device now, PSP doesn't even figure in my equation, if I don't get an iPod, I'll get a media player for movies and stuff.

Yeah, my dad brought a PSP from Japan. It's not that good, to be honest, but it's the best thing Sony's done in a while. It's actually a good rehash of the PS 2, something worth looking at.

Have you looked at www.archos.com for media players? Archos make some of the best media players out there.

kainjow said:
That's why you see everyone running around with an Archos in their pocket! They're so popular!!! :D ;)
I hope I'm not shattering anyone's perception of reality, but popular does NOT mean better.

Convert said:
Yeah, my dad brought a PSP from Japan. It's not that good, to be honest, but it's the best thing Sony's done in a while. It's actually a good rehash of the PS 2, something worth looking at.

Have you looked at www.archos.com for media players? Archos make some of the best media players out there.

Yeah, but they are a little out of the price range I have available.

What would really rock is if a 3rd Part made a simple iPod to PSP cable. That way you could use the storage of the iPod for all your home ripped DVDs to watch on a PSP. The PSP neat device at lest. Its a powerful game system, music, pictures, movies ect. I mean come on, we all want a iPod or something that does that. ;) If it just had a HD (10-15gig or something), I be all over that honey.

I'd much rather get a Epson P2000 over a PSP.

P2000
  • Has useful card slots for transferring digital pictures (CompactFlash and SD) and video
  • Much better screen
  • A/V out
  • USB direct print
  • Can play movies and music (MP3 and AAC)
  • 40GB hard drive
PSP
  • Can play games (which I'll never bother with) on crappy proprietry media
iPod
  • Plays audible books
  • Light and small - useful for jogging (you'd never jog with a PSP or P2000)
  • Syncs contacts and appointments
  • Backed up by iTunes software/store
  • Has a clock and alarm function
  • Superior user interface - clickwheel, playlists, etc
  • Huge range of accessories - portable speakers with remote control, car attachments, etc., etc..
Kap

fjdouse said:

But the PSP is a media player. It plays the latest full featured Movies, shows your Photos, Music and Games. Have you seen or used one yet? you can just about do what you can with an iPod but more, only limited by disk space and iTMS.

iPod 60G = $649AUD PSP = $399AUD?

There are also screen protectors incase of scratching the console.

Im not a real game player but this thing just might turn me over. They have demo versions in the stores to check out. Don't get me wrong the iPod is excellent i have one of those too.

Hm... I would want to get a PSP to use it as a VOIP mobile (with a USB microphone?). Since where I would use it has wireless available anyway, it would be nice to use something like Skype with it..

Quicksilver said:
only limited by disk space and iTMS.
I have no idea what you mean. The PSP uses memory stick and UMD - space is very limited.

If the PSP had a hard disk (even a just 10GB one), I'd get it, but I'm sick to death of Sony churning out new media.

Kap

Quicksilver said:
But the PSP is a media player. It plays the latest full featured Movies, shows your Photos, Music and Games. Have you seen or used one yet? you can just about do what you can with an iPod but more, only limited by disk space and iTMS.
Yes I have, someone at York train station had one, looked.. nice... but I don't use Sony products at all anymore, been stung too many times. It's a game machine with a few other features to tempt game players, plus it has proprietary memory sticks which AFAIK max out at 1GB and funny discs which means spending again and again ad infinitum.

My requirement is to carry some music (and I don't NEED to carry my whole collection) and a few movies and to be able to record the odd TV show would be a bonus as I ditched the VCR about 3 years ago. To me it comes down to the iPod which is music only (and I may just keep the Shuffle I am borrowing from my partner) and some kind or PVR/media player (and I've got my eye on some). To my mind, these devices are more of a threat to the iPod than the PSP. As for iTMS, I never use it.

The PSP does absolutely nothing for me, claiming it's something other than a game machine is like saying the PS2 is a DVD player, yes it does it but it's PRIMARY function, i.e. what it is intended to be, in both cases is a game machine and will appeal to gamers first and foremost.

Ceroc Addict said:
I'd much rather get a Epson P2000 over a PSP.

P2000
  • Has useful card slots for transferring digital pictures (CompactFlash and SD) and video
  • Much better screen
  • A/V out
  • USB direct print
  • Can play movies and music (MP3 and AAC)
  • 40GB hard drive
PSP
  • Can play games (which I'll never bother with) on crappy proprietry media
iPod
  • Plays audible books
  • Light and small - useful for jogging (you'd never jog with a PSP or P2000)
  • Syncs contacts and appointments
  • Backed up by iTunes software/store
  • Has a clock and alarm function
  • Superior user interface - clickwheel, playlists, etc
  • Huge range of accessories - portable speakers with remote control, car attachments, etc., etc..
Kap

You just don't get it, do you now?

The PSP is a portable GAMING device, which obviously has it's focus on GAMES.

(By the way: This crappy proprietary media happens to be nothing different than DVD, only in mini disc format)

The iPod is a portable MUSIC PLAYER, which pretty much has it's focus on PLAYING MUSIC and AUDIO. It is also designed to store masses of music on the built-in hard drive.

The P-2000 is a portable MEDIA CENTER, which seems to be more focused on playing MOVIES (MPEG4 and stuff) on the move. Of course it does play MUSIC as well.

As far as I can see, it are all different things, with focus on different areas.

Back