purchasing a high def camcorder - advice?

solrac

Mac Ninja
I want to make some crystal clear high quality web video content, and I am interested in a Canon 1080p digital camcorder.

The price range for that seems to be around $800.

Is this overkill for web video? I want crystal clear high fidelity video but the resolution will be far smaller than 1920 x 1080.

Should I shop for a 720p camera instead? My only reason for downgrading would be savings. I would only be interested in downgrading if it brought the price range down to $500 or less.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Is this overkill for web video? ...
Yes.

Should I shop for a 720p camera instead? ...
No, you should shop for a webcam. A 720p camcorder is a high-def camcorder. Its bandwidth and processor requirements will limit your video to 1-2 fps if it works at all as a webcam. You don't use a high-def camcorder as a webcam; you use it for high-definition video or a a replacement for film.

No, you should shop for a webcam. A 720p camcorder is a high-def camcorder. Its bandwidth and processor requirements will limit your video to 1-2 fps if it works at all as a webcam. You don't use a high-def camcorder as a webcam; you use it for high-definition video or a a replacement for film.

LOL, buddy, I'm not shopping for a webcam. I already got an iSight built in to my macbook pro!

RTFM

I think it depends on your TV specs, costs of replace accessories, access to such accessories and ability to add boom microphones and external light (for low light capture). Video quality is to eye of the beholder.

---Quote (Originally by solrac)---
.... I already got an iSight built in to my macbook pro!
---End Quote---

You were not asking about iSights; you were asking about high-def cameras which will not work as a webcams. If you have an iSight, then that is what you are going to have to use.

Man, this thread is spiraling into the abyss of misery

It's funny how this thread just tanked so miserably.

I vote this to be the worst thread ever posted. AND IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!

Back