Putting G4 Quicksilver into a new ATX case.

pathofthorns19

Registered
Hey guys. I'm trying to put my Powermac G4 733 Quicksilver into a new case. Don't get me wrong, I love the Apple case, but it really blows for trying to add stuff to it. So I (argghhh..) bought a PC-style case. After I switched everything over to it, the computer turns on but I don't see anything on the monitor. I had to do some serious modding to the ATX case to get it to work, but since I just changed the shell of the system, I don't see why I can't get it to run. Oh, and I did switch over the power supplies, since the Mac power supply is not standard (in fact, nothing seems to be standard in it, down to the screws, which is really an annoying fact about Apple.) Anyway, the lights come on, the hard drives and fans spin, but no boot. Am I missing something here? I've heard of an alledged magnet somewhere in the case... is this true?
Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Thanks, pathofthorns19

Power Mac G4 733 Quicksilver
640 MB RAM
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther

You transfered everything? Did you make sure all the cables were snug in their ports? Especially the video? Did you make sure you did not zap something with static electricity?
Some screws act as a ground. Did you make sure you replaced all the screws?

Does the computer turn the display on? (display power light should turn green)
Do you have a speaker connected? Do you get a startup tone?
Have you tried to reset P-Ram (hold opt-apple-P-R until startup tone sounds, continue to hold through 2 or 3 tones)?
Reset PMU? (plug power cord, remove battery, disconnect logic board power supply connector, press reset button (should be near the battery) let rest for 10 minutes minimum, then reinsert the battery, reconnect power connecter, press the PMU reset button again (once ONLY), insert power cord, and try for a boot.)

Nope, the display does not turn on, the test patern does turn green for a moment right as the power button is pressed, I believe indicating a brief signal, there is no start-up tone, tried reseting the PMU, no luck. However, one of the drive lights, the CDRW comes on and stays on, however the disc tray will not eject. The DVD-RW (the reason for the larger case) does nothing, no drive light, tray also will not eject. So I disconnected both drives, and one hard drive so that now I'm trying to boot with only the one hard drive connected, it spins up, but shows no sign of accessing, or even attempting to boot. The fans just run and the harddrive just spins at its' idle speed. I'm running out of ideas so I put it back into the Mac case (which is now in less than mint condition) and nothing has changed.

I think you blew the motherboard. High static can do that. Try the hard drive on a different computer if you can.
I don't think your Quicksilver came with a hardware test CD, so the only way to know for sure that the board is gone is by taking it in to have it tested.

Back