Quake 3

goodfellaship

Registered
Okay this is quite a old game now, but ive only just got it, i got it off a torrent i shall tell you the truth. the package contained the toast file which has the mac os9 files but it does work on my os x 10.4 with classics, classics just does'nt start. It also comes with the 1.3.2 update if i am right, when you install this it creates a quake 3 folder in my applications folder i have read on a forum i needed to put a file something like pak0.pak3 in to a certain folder in my quake 3 folder on my hard dirve but still no look. Im not sure what the error is but when i run the updated version with punk buster installed it takes me to a white screen, and i have speech enabled so it just says "quake 3 error" and does nothing. i have read on the internet many people with this problem but no one has seemed to solve it but all these people's posts are from like 1999. so please they must be someone out there who can help me get this running.

My mac set up is.

Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550:

Chipset Model: ATY,M12
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Goodfellaship,

Despite the fact that a lot of games and software are available via torrents and other means macosx.com is about the supporting the Mac in a legal fashion. That said, if you are having a problem with Classic, state that, but you won't get much help on using a pirated piece of software here.

RonMan

Ronman said:
Goodfellaship,

Despite the fact that a lot of games and software are available via torrents and other means macosx.com is about the supporting the Mac in a legal fashion. That said, if you are having a problem with Classic, state that, but you won't get much help on using a pirated piece of software here.

RonMan

its a fact in life, people download stuff for free. but what im basicly saying is has any one else ever experinced any these problems and know how to fix them?

I didn't want to say anything about it when I first saw this post, but it's in the board rules. You have the option to read them when you first sign up. If you didn't, then it is hardly the fault of the board or those here since everyone elseis pretty much abiding by the rules. If you want to do that on your own, that's your business. However, you can't expect to be helped here when the board rules state that discussions about illegal actions (like downloading commercial software through p2p) are not allowed here.

I bought Quake III Gold & Team Arena for only $10 AU from a discounter here. Thats around $8 US. Frankly, at that price I wouldn't even be bothered with pirating it. It is a neat game, if a little dated, and well worth the price - which is the same as I'd pay for a footlong sub and a soft drink. ;-)

Note also that Quake III's was distributed as one box containing both Mac and PC installers on the one disc. Hence if you can find the PC version cheap, it'll install fine on your Mac.

So if i buy a pc version of quake 3 it should work on me mac, i shall check the system requerments. But yeah you have convinced me to go and buy it. Because i probs can get it cheap.

goodfellaship said:
So if i buy a pc version of quake 3 it should work on me mac, i shall check the system requerments. But yeah you have convinced me to go and buy it. Because i probs can get it cheap.
Quake III was released for beta testing on Macs only and was released for both Mac and PC at the same time (and on the same disk as I recall, at least my version has both the Mac and PC version on it).

The problem with the Mac version is that it is for Mac OS 9...but the Mac OS X version of the application software is downloadable for free. It is the game files (either Mac or PC, as the are the same) that you are buying.

I bought mine at CompUSA for about $25 as I recall... I've been playing it happily for years now (started playing in Mac OS X back in the days of the public beta when the Omni Group was making the Mac OS X app).

Back