Qualification...

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
Looks like iTunes for PC will finally become a reality later this year when Apple launches it's music service for Windows.

Reports say that not only is iTunes to be released for Windows, but also that TimeWarner is trying to make iTunes AOL's default music-management software.

Here's the article...

NOOOO! It's more than enough that PC users get the iPod! Now also iTunes? Macs won't have any cool things of themselves left!

sounds like a bit of speculation on the author's part... but it could very well happen.

before the iTunes music service, i would have said no way in hell there would ever be iTunes on the PC side of the world. but it makes a lot of sense now... if they have to make software for their service for PC users anyway, why not give them something as easy to use as iTunes? plus, it'll be yet another way to show PC users how easy apple can make things. :)

Originally posted by RPS
NOOOO! It's more than enough that PC users get the iPod! Now also iTunes? Macs won't have any cool things of themselves left!
Haha! You’ve got to be kidding right?!
Of course Apple wants to gain share on the bigger market!

Wouldn´t it be cool if iTunes were to replace WinAmp or Windows Media Player as the chosen music app?!

and nothing says that if itunes is realeased for windows that it will be free, think of the revenews apple could gain if itunes-pc was a 10-20 dollar purchase

What if Itunes is not coming to Windows... but to a OS X port on PC......scarry thoughts....

Not a snowballs chance in...

The point of doing Windows is to gain access to the other 97% of computer users. Even in Apple were to make a x86 port of OSX, it would only run on Apple sanctioned hardware, not the other 97% that Apple is hoping to tap in to.

and nothing says that if itunes is realeased for windows that it will be free, think of the revenews apple could gain if itunes-pc was a 10-20 dollar purchase

I hope it's not free either. But giving it away is the best hope for Apple to draw interest in the service, so I'm guessing it will be.

They could limit it's use to a PC connected to an iPod, but that will only add about another 400,000 users (estimated Windows iPod owners).

I'm pretty convinced that for the Music Store to work, it needs easy access from PC users, and that access is going to come from a free version of iTunes....

Well if they do release it for pc users then it would probably be wise to make it windows native instead of the botched brushed metal themes floating around out there.
x86 for Mac OS X is a bad idea but
I would like to see pc-compatible applications such as quictime and appleworks. Than if Apple does come up with another word processor it'll already be seeded in the pc community. just a thought.

Originally posted by ApeintheShell
Well if they do release it for pc users then it would probably be wise to make it windows native instead of the botched brushed metal themes floating around out there.
x86 for Mac OS X is a bad idea but
I would like to see pc-compatible applications such as quictime and appleworks. Than if Apple does come up with another word processor it'll already be seeded in the pc community. just a thought.

hello.... a pc version of quicktime has been around for many years :)

Originally posted by koim
Haha! You?ve got to be kidding right?!
Of course Apple wants to gain share on the bigger market!

Wouldn´t it be cool if iTunes were to replace WinAmp or Windows Media Player as the chosen music app?!

No, I want pc users to use their own ****tty music players, I want iTunes to belong to Macers

No, I want pc users to use their own ****ty music players, I want iTunes to belong to Macers

My sentiments exactly, - BUT...

the reality of the iTunes Music Service being available for Windows means that Apple needs a Windows client to make it work.

If Apple is going to be able to fleece PC users with an iTunes for Windows, and be able to put that money back in to Apple R&D, then I guess it's a good thing...

One thing is for sure - my PC friends who have long snubbed the Mac are going to get a wake up call as to why the grass has been greener on our side. Unfortunately, with iTunes for PC, they'll have one less incentive to switch.

As for the interface - I'm pretty confident they'll keep the same look that iTunes for Mac has... After all, Quicktime uses brushed metal and looks (almost) the same on both platforms...

I see both sides of it. I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of iTunes for Windows, but...I'm sure the RIAA had a hand in it...We'll license you our songs, but you have to do a Windows version, too.

There are already legal music services for Windows. It's not like they need it. I'm not sure how it will fare. It saddens me in a way to think of iTunes on Windows. It kind of cheapens it for me, in all honesty. But, I guess Apple needs to diversify and make money...

"Ain't that America for you and me?"- John Mellencamp

I don't get people's opposition to a windows version of iTunes. Surely anything that expands Apple's market share (in whatever area) has to be a good thing for Mac users.

No, because I don't care how Apple's shares are doing, do you?:confused:

You know they'll have enough money to make new Macs whether they make the PC iTunes or not.

It's a nice strategy, I think. PC people saw the iMac (original). They thought: "Oh, that's a tad too fancy, but it's nice somebody's doing 'em." When Apple introduced the TiBook, they were struck with awe... Still, maybe, they didn't want to actually own a Mac, mostly because the Ti's were quite expensive. Then the icy iBook came along, and even more 'switchers' with them, as the iBook was a cheap entry into a world they knew was kind of - beautiful. The iPod was the first _real_ entry of Apple into 'their' world. Now they could buy something from Apple without leaving the platform. Yet, buying an iPod gives you access to something refined, something that - wow! - works... And if iTunes shows them how applications _could_ be like the cool hardware Apple's making, maybe even more will switch.

And believe me, Apple _can_ use market share. I think the 'Digital Hub' strategy makes more and more sense - and it's attracting more and more people to the Macintosh platform, because even Sony doesn't get their media-packages-winxp-digital-hub-thingies right. Apple can and does get things right.

If Apple keeps porting everything over to PC, why would any PC user want to switch to Apple if they can run everything from there PC? PC (Piece of Crap)

If Apple keeps porting everything over to PC, why would any PC user want to switch to Apple if they can run everything from there PC?

Right now, Apple only ports software to Windows in areas where it makes sense to do so.

Quicktime would never have become a standard had it not been available for Windows...

iTunes Music Store will not be successful if it can't reach the 97% of computer users who do Windows.

Now, if Apple decides to port iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD to Windows, well - then we're going to have a problem....

You guys who oppose a windows version are nuts.

Apple's first duty is to its shareholders. Shareholders desire increased earnings.

If Apple can establish itself as the dominant player in the online music market then their earnings per share could potentially sky rocket. Money, money, money! That's the business that Apple is in, making money!

And a windows version of iTunes with the Music Store = LOTS OF $$$$$$$

Wake up and smell the green :)

I'd like to see a qualification with iTunes for Windows:

Free version - Allows you to browse music store, buy tracks, and manage library. Doesn't allow for burning, and advanced features are disabled (soundcheck, ratings, ripping at quality better than 192kbps)...

Commercial Version (say, at $19.99) - Full feature set of Mac version, plus CD burning.

Of course, the Commercial version would be free if you bought an iPod....

I really don't think Apple will give away the entire feature set to Windows users for free. Remember, in the Windows world, Apple will have to provide compatability for a myriad of burners.....and to do that, they need to write drivers. Time === $Money, so, I hope they intend to charge PC users for this, instead of having Mac users subsidize the PC version.

Back