Quark 4.1 Graphic design related question

bez

Registered
Hi everyone. How do I stop my images/ logos having a white surround when I import them into a picture box in quark? Is there a way to save a file before you import it,(ie in photoshop) to stop it having a white surround? The auto image in runaround on quark removes most of it, but I can still see little bits of white surrounding text and images when things are printed. Is there a fool proof way of having none?

Thanks

Ok, in photoshop with the magic wand select the background, the go to edit (i think, i'm on my girlfriend powerbook and she doesn't have photoshop installed....) and invert selection, then cupy and paste in a new picture file and save as gif. it should work :)

Hi mate cheers for the reply. So invert the background (for example if it is white) invert the selection so the marching ants are around the outside of the image?

What do you mean by copy and paste in a new picture file? Sorry forthe stupid questions.

do NOT import gifs to Quark, especially if you are printing.

What you need to do in photoshop is create what's called a "clipping path" around the object, two pixel widths inside the object so you cut out all the white around it (I assume your image is on a white background). In your pallets, open "Paths" and click the triangle in a circle button for "new path" and draw with the pen tool (name your path "Clip" to remind you what it is.

Once you have closed the drawing (it will be a connected line in the end) then you need to make that Clip a "Clipping Path" in that same circle/triangle button on the pallett (use 2 for the tolerance) and save the file as an .eps file.

Then you can place that image in quark without the white. You may still see some white, but do a test by exporting that page to a pdf file and viewing that in Acrobat Reader, or just print the page out.

Hope that helps!

Hi thanks for the reply, but I am still confused. At work we only have photoshop elements, so it is different from what I am used to. Whe you say "in your pallets", where exactly do you mean? Also, there does not seem to be a pen tool available in photoshop elements, anyone got an idea where it should be?

If anyone can give me an answer to this I would really appreciate it.

this is just a thought, I may be wrong:

try to save your image in photoshop as lossless gif, then choose the color of the background to be the gif's transparent color. also if you are creating an image meant to be on a different color you may want to work with the same color background so that photoshop can alias your picture to it. :cool:

Rome :D

Never, ever, ever use a gif or a jpg in anything that is going to be printed. Ever.

"pallets" = Palettes, i.e. the thingies with icons.

1 - What sort of files are you placing in Quark?
2 - Select the box. Open the color palette in Quark - see if the box is selected to be filled with white. If so, change from white to "none"

Also, make sure the "runaround" is off for your images boxes in Quark. Runaround makes the text run around the picture instead of underneath it, and turning it on automatically sets the background color of the picture box to white.

In the version I have of photoshop that I am trying to get this to work in (on a pc at work) I can not see a pen tool. Any ideas where it will be? I know on my mac it is in the pallet, but it is not here. How do I convert what I draw with the pen tool to a clipping path? What is it under?

Sorry for the questions, I hate using pc's

Any more help please guys? I dont really have than much of a clue when it comes to slightly older photoshops

I'm not sure about PS Elements, but if you want to make a selection around your image then find a "paths" palette. When you find the "paths" palette then you'll need to convert that selection into "make working path". After you have a "working path" you'll need to "save path". Once the path is saved then you should be able to tell quark to use that clipping path.

ok thanks guys. I think I will be able to suss it out, just looks like you cant do it in elements

bez said:
ok thanks guys. I think I will be able to suss it out, just looks like you cant do it in elements

If your image has got a white border I would have thought the easiest way to get rid of it is to crop the image using the crop tool so it hasn't got the border on. This should be possible in elements.

Back