Quark - Unexpected end-of-file encountered. (-39)

Timnkash

Registered
I am using OSX 10.4.6 and Quark 6.5 and keep getting this error too many times. I get the error on opening a saved file. Every time I get the message the file size has gone to Zero KB. Anybody any other suggestions/preventions other than Markztools? Recreating jobs is driving me mad!

Where are the Quark files stored? You're not saving them across a network to a network share, are you? This has been known to cause problems with Quark (and other) documents... you should instead work from a local copy, then use the Finder or Terminal to copy the modified file back to the network share.

The files are on my hard disk, I'm not working across a network. I've just set up a quick Auto Save and Auto Backup so hopefully when it happens next it won't take so long to put right! Thanks for advice.

I know it's a bit late to join this thread after three years but I have just encountered the same problem for the first time. I did a Spotlight search for the file name and found it in two versions - the original intact one and a 0kb version that I had been trying to open. No idea how this could have happened but I've got my file back.

Just a side note.. End-of-file error pops up when the file was closed before it finished saving. Happens often, as noted earlier, when saving to shared harddisks. Happened all the time at my ex-work, mostly with Photoshop files... Extremely annoying.

To save files on internal hard disk and move them afterwards wasn't really an option; so I found a way around the problem which worked for me. I did "save" as usual while working with the file, but when i was finished i did "save as.." and replaced the file. It seems to have worked at that time. So.. you guys can always try that trick :)

Thanks for your input, I am using my internal drive though so shared HDs isn't the problem. I had however moved the original quark file into a folder. It seems a phantom 0kb version was created in the folder whilst the proper file remained on the desktop which was the original location.

Back