QuarkXPress 6.52 failing to print Verdan

sprale

Registered
When printing from PPC or Intel Macs running 10.4 or 10.5, Quark fails to print files containing Verdana. On 10.5 Macs, the file prints, but substitutes Courier. On 10.4 Macs, the file fails without notification. It just disappears from the queue. I've tested copying the text to InDesign CS3 and it prints just fine. I've tested printing to four different HP LJ models, they all fail the same. One printer (HP LJ 9050) kicks out an error and requires a reboot: 49.60FF. Copying the font(s) from a Mac that prints fine does not work. I've thought about trashing the Quark preferences, but am waiting for a window.

I've been seeing this issue at random for a few years and have yet to find a resolution myself so far. I've tried pushing it up to the top-level internal support at my company with no resolution either (makes me feel better when the top guys can't fix it either).

This is a QuarkXPress issue from everything I can tell, but I'm still no closer to finding the cause. I've cleaned the font cache, I've reinstalled all of the fonts, I've even reimaged one of the troubled Macs to no avail.

Using an alternate font is not an option as these workflows are layered and they affect tens of thousands of files going back many years. Believe me, I'd love to use a solution like that, but it's more complicated than you imagine. There are a dozen other users who are not experiencing this issue, it's isolated to this one in particular all the time, others occasionally. It comes down to needing to move forward with software and hardware versions, but unfortunately it isn't going to happen overnight.

I'd also love to simply upgrade the 10.4 Macs to 10.5 (even better would be ditching the PPC platform entirely), as the issue is even less prevalent there.

Verdana is installed as part of Microsoft Office. My guess is that Quark can't print it because it doesn't know how to tell the print system how to find it. My suggestion is to install your Office fonts in the standard /Library/Fonts/ folder.

Verdana is installed as part of Microsoft Office. My guess is that Quark can't print it because it doesn't know how to tell the print system how to find it. My suggestion is to install your Office fonts in the standard /Library/Fonts/ folder.

That's actually similar to what I do. I remove all of the fonts from MS Office and move them to the ~/Library/Fonts/ folder. I do this because there is more than one version of Verdana (and other fonts) in use. I also created a new folder to move disabled fonts into; ~/Library/Fonts Disabled/. All fonts are removed from the main /Library/Fonts/ folder. I also remove all but about a dozen fonts from the System/Library/Fonts folder to avoid conflicts.

... I also remove all but about a dozen fonts from the System/Library/Fonts folder to avoid conflicts.
This is a very bad idea. You should never touch the fonts in the System folder. They are part of the System and are used by it. If there is a conflict, then ditch the conflicting fonts that are outside the System folder. Leave the System fonts alone.

If you know what applications and system resources require those fonts, and how those fonts are at times in conflict with third party software, then it is safe to modify those fonts. I would recommend caution if one is unfamiliar or inexperienced in this area, but the same goes for modifying most parts of a system. I did brick the first system I attempted to manage manually.

Back