Question about bootcamp

khgamer89

Registered
i've had my Mac mini for a little while now, i was wondering if i'd be able to like put a external harddrive plugged into the mac and install windows on that drive and like dual boot that way? maybe with bootcamp?
my mini is 1.33ghz and 512 ram so its not that good but, its worth a try u no?

1.33 GHz? Double check the speed and which model it is,  > About this Mac > More info...
If it's a PPC (i.e. not an Intel Mac), which it could be if it really is with that processor speed, Boot Camp will not work with it.

*sigh*
it is a 1.33 GHz it isnt a intel its a PPC
is there like some other way i can dual boot? or is bootcamp the only way?

You can't use BootCamp, period. BootCamp only works on Intel-based Macintosh computers. You have a PowerPC-based Macintosh computer.

The only way you can run Windows on your mini is via emulation, with software like VirtualPC (since discontinued).

You can "dual-boot" your Mac, just not with Mac OS X and Windows. There are certain flavors of Linux that run on PowerPC hardware -- so you could dual-boot Mac OS X and Linux if you like, but nowhere in that mix are you going to be able to natively "boot" Windows on your PowerPC-based Macintosh.

okay alrighty :) thank you all :) just wondered. becuz my school has me do alot on windows and i figured if i could dual boot u no :p
but that's kool :) thx.

You could still run Windows emulated, also with kju http://www.kju-app.org/ it just will not be that fast, and you'd rally want more than 512 MB RAM.
Or if any dual boot would do, pick a nice linux distro that exists for PPC, like Yellow Dog Linux.

that would be kool. would i be able to do that with a external harddrive? becuz my current hd is only 40gb...and its tough to keep my free space above 7gb >_<

When you use virtualization or emulation, you don't load windows onto a drive -- rather, you load it into a "virtualized" drive, which is simply a file stored on a drive somewhere... And that "somewhere" can be a hard drive, external drive, flash drive, network drive, or any other storage medium.

Yes, just about any hard drive will work. But I feel the need to warn you that running windows on your machine in a virtualized environment is going to be slow... and forget about running any games other than minesweeper. Just a heads up!

soo pretty much, i could have the drive attached.
and use a install disc at the boot of mac and go through the install and just install it on that "external hard drive" with no problems?

also does it matter if its USB 2.0? or Firewire?

Yes, you can do that. As I said, you're going to be installing windows "into a file" and that file can be stored anywhere you can store a file.

Your mac will not "boot" from the windows cd though... You will install emulation software on your mac and you will run the software like you would run any other piece of software on your mac. That program will "emulate" the booting And running of windows.

okay i think i get it. just a virtual drive that can be stored anywhere no matter what. that's pretttyy frickin sweet :p
tyvm :D i'll be sure to install linux soon :D i saw a nice version of fedora that looks nice :D

Back