Question about checking the integrity of a MacBook hard drive

tomdkat

Registered
So, my friend has a 13" MacBook that crashed recently. He had been getting frequent occurrences of the "beach ball" while using it and at one point, when he turned it on he got the gray screen with the question mark. Now, when he boots it up, he gets nothing.

I've removed the hard drive and have it connected to my Ubuntu Linux system to see if I can access the data on the drive or otherwise verify if the drive is bad or not. Ubuntu recognizes the drive but won't mount it, due to a "bad superblock" error. I can access the drive using fdisk, but I can't see any partitions of any kind.

What non-Mac OS X tools can I use to determine if the hard drive is good or not?

Thanks!

Peace...

Your hard drive is no longer usable,Bad superblock error should have made you aware of that! Best bet would be to get a new Hd and reinstall Mac Os X. Then if you have files on the old HD that you need to retrive, get a copy of Disk Warrior and put the old drive into a external housing and hopefully you can pull the needed files of the old HD.

Back