Question about networking and wireless access...

Zidion

Registered
Im buying a mac in the next month or so and want ot share its internet acess with my PC (I have cable internet).

Can I use any wireless router with the airport card thing, or can you only use apple ones? Im thinking of getting this one click

Will that work? Also, do G5s come with airport cards alread in them, or do I have to buy it seperately?

thanks
-Zidion

That router should work fine if you get an Airport Extreme card for your G5.

If you are purchasing your G5 from the online Apple Store, there is an option to add an Airport Extreme card for $99. Your new G5 will ship with the card pre-installed this way.

If you are purchasing your G5 from a retailer, you'll probably have to purchase the Airport Extreme card separately. Inquire at the store about the availability and installation of the card -- installation is quite easy, but if you're a little unsure, you can always have them install it for you.

Note that you do not have to use Airport Extreme to share the connection. You can also use a simple Cable/DSL router and run the internet connection over standard ethernet.

ok thanks :)

the linksys one is a lot cheaper, thats why I was asking. $200 is a lot for a wireless router.

Zidion said:
ok thanks :)

the linksys one is a lot cheaper, thats why I was asking. $200 is a lot for a wireless router.

I have a Linksys wireless router, the current 802.11b model (BEFW11S4).

A limitation of the Linksys is that it will not pass AppleTalk packets. AT is an old and definitely on-the-way-out technology, so as long as you have new equipment no worries. And it won't affect your ability to talk to the PC :p. But if you are thinking of putting any old hardware (old Mac or some old printers) on the LAN, think again before buying Linksys.

Back