Question about Sleeping in Lion

ceport

Registered
Is there a time delay in the latest Lion (10.7.5 11G63) update that precludes the immediate return to active state from Sleep?
This happens to me whether I put it to sleep from the Apple menu or if it goes to sleep after sitting inactive for a while.
Waking it up with a mouse click or with a keystroke does nothing, but after quite some time it finally comes alive.

How long is "quite some time"?
2 seconds?
2 minutes?
My MacBook with 10.7.5 takes about 3 seconds to completely wake up, after the initial keypress.
Waking up is NOT instant.
Different Macs will take various amounts of time for full wake, sometimes depending on hardware configuration.

Have you tried an SMC reset to see if that changes anything for you?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

For me 'quite some time' in one or two cases was about 5 minutes. Other times it is 30 secs to around a minute.
I only posted this question because before this happened, (about three weeks ago) the wake-up was almost immediate.

... I only posted this question because before this happened, (about three weeks ago) the wake-up was almost immediate.

What happened "about three weeks ago"?
The 10.7.5 update has been around for about 4 months, so it wouldn't be that, right?
Did you install some new software, or add new hardware - even just a new USB hub, etc?

Did you try the SMC reset yet?

What happened "about three weeks ago"?
The 10.7.5 update has been around for about 4 months, so it wouldn't be that, right?
Did you install some new software, or add new hardware - even just a new USB hub, etc?

Did you try the SMC reset yet?

Nothing has happened for months, except automatic updates from Apple.

I didn't tried the SMC reset because the explanation given in the SMC reset article seemed to imply that it wouldn't apply in my case.

But - you did say that something happened three weeks ago.... So, it's a bit confusing that you now say that nothing happened?

No, your symptoms are not word-for-word, exactly as listed in the symptoms in that article.
However, you are having problems that can be attributed to the power manager.
So - you should try that reset. It either helps, or doesn't, and you will not hurt anything to try the reset.
Another possibility that you can try, is to boot to your Recovery partition and reinstall Lion.
That will help clear out possible "cruft" that might accumulate in your system. Run your Software Update then, to make sure that all is up-to-date at that time. The OS X reinstall simply reinstalls the system on top of what you already have. Your own files and apps should not be disturbed.
One or two restarts will rebuild your system caches, and you should be good then.
If you prefer not to do a full reinstall, then just download and install your current OS X combined updater. That won't be quite as effective as a full reinstall - but may also get your sleep situation working more effectively. You can get the Lion updater here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399
In case you question using that updater - reinstalling an already installed, current update (with the combined updater) has been part of successful methods for troubleshooting odd problems that suddenly begin happening on OS X for at least the last 10 years.
Give that a try, and let us know how it goes.

But - you did say that something happened three weeks ago.... So, it's a bit confusing that you now say that nothing happened?

No, your symptoms are not word-for-word, exactly as listed in the symptoms in that article.
However, you are having problems that can be attributed to the power manager.
So - you should try that reset. It either helps, or doesn't, and you will not hurt anything to try the reset.
Another possibility that you can try, is to boot to your Recovery partition and reinstall Lion.
That will help clear out possible "cruft" that might accumulate in your system. Run your Software Update then, to make sure that all is up-to-date at that time. The OS X reinstall simply reinstalls the system on top of what you already have. Your own files and apps should not be disturbed.
One or two restarts will rebuild your system caches, and you should be good then.
If you prefer not to do a full reinstall, then just download and install your current OS X combined updater. That won't be quite as effective as a full reinstall - but may also get your sleep situation working more effectively. You can get the Lion updater here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399
In case you question using that updater - reinstalling an already installed, current update (with the combined updater) has been part of successful methods for troubleshooting odd problems that suddenly begin happening on OS X for at least the last 10 years.
Give that a try, and let us know how it goes.

When I said something happened about three weeks ago I meant that evidently something happened because that is when the sleeping time became prolonged. When I said nothing happened I mean that nothing specific took place other than everyday operation of the computer.
I'll report any results when I try the SMC reset.

LMFAO !
Thanks g/re/p
It took me way too long to realize why that video was relevant here.. :D
Sometimes I take this stuff way too seriously....

Back